banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pepper Keenan tone Deliverance/Wiseblood era?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pepper Keenan tone Deliverance/Wiseblood era?

I know he's used the .50 cal+ and 25 watt Greenbacks forever, but has used the Tom Anderson H3 and possibly Pearly Gates at some point during these albums. Anyone know which one it would be? Ive had "Born Again for the Last Time" going through my head the last few days. I LOVE the tone on that song.

LP Custom
    Greenbacks
    Boss SD-1

Re: Pepper Keenan tone Deliverance/Wiseblood era?

It would be the H3.

He used a Pearly Gates in the neck position in one of his guitars on the In The Arms Of God tour.

As far as bridge pickups go...
    Blind- Ultrasonic
    Deliverance/Wiseblood/AVD- H3
    ITAOG- unknown creme pickup in his "PJK" Viper, H3 in others
    ITAOG tour- Invader
    Originally posted by Aceman
    It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

Anything in the SD lineup that might resemble the H3? Custom, maybe?

LP Custom
      Greenbacks
      Boss SD-1

Comment

Custom is probably the closest you'll get, yes. The H3 is its own beast though...apparently it has a unique response due to the magnet positioning. But I forget exactly how its configured.
        It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

I had an H3 in a Viper once, it reminded me of a passive equivalent of an EMG, hot and kinda flat sounding, but aggressive and meaty and a good platform to build tone on.

To me the tone that stands out on those albums is Woody's soloing tones - Pearly Gates (and Invader).

Comment

Originally posted by ex-250 View Post
            Custom is probably the closest you'll get, yes. The H3 is its own beast though...apparently it has a unique response due to the magnet positioning. But I forget exactly how its configured.
            Its vertical in those pickups, right?

LP Custom
            Greenbacks
            Boss SD-1

Comment

Interesting. Ultrasonic on Blind...I have a set of those things and I've never been able to get a good tone out of them. I liked them for a week or so but shortly thereafter they went back in the parts bin. Maybe it's worth trying again.

Comment

Originally posted by Soulcrusher_X View Post
                Its vertical in those pickups, right?
                Yeah that sounds right. Thats what I thought, but I didn't want to post it being unsure.

Originally posted by TattooedCarrot View Post
                s out on those albums is Woody's soloing tones - Pearly Gates (and Invader).
                A good point- don't forget Woody. Pepper may be the frontman, but Woody's guitar tone is a big part of COC's sound. Have you heard any of the new album, with 3-piece COC? I thought it might sound like a big departure without Pepper, but that guitar sound is unmistakably COC.

I think Pepper said in a Guitar World article that after driving themselves crazy trying to stay tight when laying rhythm tracks over eachother on Blind, all the albums after that they just went by whoever wrote more of a song or whoever wanted to play it more would record all the rhythm for that track. So everything after Blind is either entirely Pepper or entirely Woody as far as rhythm guitars go. And thus- don't forget Woody.

Comment

No question about Woody's awesomeness. His are some of my favorite tones and leads, but his guitar has been more consistant than Pepper's it seems, hence me asking about Pepper.

That's pretty interesting about how they record too. That might explain why some songs have brighter guitar tracks and some have a meatier tone.

LP Custom
                  Greenbacks
                  Boss SD-1

Comment

Wow. It’s like you was reading my mind 9 years earlier lol . Pepper played a Gibson on orange amps right ?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Lagadama View Post
                        Wow. It’s like you was reading my mind 9 years earlier lol . Pepper played a Gibson on orange amps right ?
                        In COC yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

In COC yes.
                          In COC he played an ESP SG copy with a Mesa 50 Cal. The Orange stuff and a Gibson 335 style something came later.
                          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I’d try a Deton8tor, Custom8 or Inv8der (with one or maybe even two rows of fillisters for the Inv. and Det.).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X