magnets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• magnets

whats the main difference between the ceramics and alnico magnets?
    we can be heroes

Re: magnets

This seems to be a controversial subject; not so much among forum members, but more so among different pickup manufacturers.

I think the general consensus here is that (put very simply) ceramic = hotter output and more treble, alnico 2 = less output, more vintage tone and more mids, and alnico 5 is kind of a compromise between the two.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

also the ceramics are stronger magnets and therfore have a larger field and can pull strings easier. Tonally I think magnets are like JB said. Also I'd like to add that they have a more aggressive sound. I will try to illustrate how my ears hear the difference.

A5 sounds ------------- fairly straight and solid

A2 sounds --.--.--.--.--. small nuances of softer sound

Ceramic sounds --+--+--+--+ small nuances of a harder sound

Hope this helps!

Luke
      “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Swiped from a simliar thread over on the Hamer board a few minutes ago.

"Ceramics are the strongest, and the AlNiCos as commonly used rank, in order of descending strength, A5, A2, A3.

All else equal, the stronger the magnet, the higher the output and the stronger the low lows and high highs. So ceramics will be brighter and stronger than the rest, and A2 will be softer and seemingly have more midrange - because they have attenuated highs and lows.

Most humbuckers use a 'standard' magnet size, same as Gibson used in humbuckers and P90s. Super high output humbuckers occasionally have three ceramics, though - the X2N, Invader, and Gibson 500T are like this."
        Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
        X