Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVAN,why was the JB changed????

these are the bad boys that USA KRAMERS had back in 1984 and they were
    Last edited by WARRENLEELYNCH; 04-06-2004, 11:49 AM.

Re: EVAN,why was the JB changed????

are they much different?

Comment

I don't remember all of the details but I recall the coil wire becoming unavailable from the original supplier.
      From what I remember the only thing that ever changed was the coil wire manufacturer. As far as how different they are now from then, who can honestly say?
      I suspect it could be only as much as the 'voodoo' put into the knowledge of a different wire. That could well be enough for some.

Rodney!

Comment

Seeing that prototype almost makes me feel I am viewing classified information. Now I will convince myself I didn't just see that.

Comment

OK, let's dispel some rumors before they get started.

First of all, the fact that we're selling a pickup in Japan called the Prototype JB doesn't mean the JB was ever changed. Here's the story behind it: Thirty years ago, when Seymour was designing the pickups for the famous Tele-Gib, he made several prototype designs for the JB which weren't used. Repeat: weren't used. They were good-sounding pickups, but not the pickup that eventually became the JB. Let me say this once again -- the JB was not changed.

That's the Prototype JB. In Japan, it's sold with special packaging and a signed card from Seymour -- and they're very expensive. If you can read Japanese, you can read about the pickup here.

If you want the same pickup, but without the fancy packaging and signed card, you can get straight from the Custom Shop -- just ask for the "Tele-Gib Bridge Pickup."

I hope that clears things up.

One last time... The JB was not changed.
          Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
          Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

sounds like away to cash in to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp
              OK, let's dispel some rumors before they get started.

First of all, the fact that we're selling a pickup in Japan called the Prototype JB doesn't mean the JB was ever changed. Here's the story behind it: Thirty years ago, when Seymour was designing the pickups for the famous Tele-Gib, he made several prototype designs for the JB which weren't used. Repeat: weren't used. They were good-sounding pickups, but not the pickup that eventually became the JB. Let me say this once again -- the JB was not changed.

That's the Prototype JB. In Japan, it's sold with special packaging and a signed card from Seymour -- and they're very expensive. If you can read Japanese, you can read about the pickup here.

If you want the same pickup, but without the fancy packaging and signed card, you can get straight from the Custom Shop -- just ask for the "Tele-Gib Bridge Pickup."

I hope that clears things up.

One last time... The JB was not changed.
              So what is the difference in the sound?

I have a really old JB (circa 1982-84) and it is a really alive, yet warm and vocally voiced pickup. MUCH warmer than, say, a Custom.

When I hear people complain that the JB is too bright I can't help but think that maybe some changes were made over the years, because mine certainly isn't too bright...... more mids than anything else....

I have tried some old 80's Hamer guitars that came stock with covered JB's and '59's and didn't think those JB's were too bright either......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
              buggjuice.net
              MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Mac-P, if you have a 20 year old JB, on the day it was purchased, it was the same pickup that a new JB is today. However, over the course of playing the guitar for 20 years you may have exposed the magnet to environmental factors such as physical shock, extreme temperature changes or interaction with other magnets. Over time, those factors will degauss the magnet, making the Alnico 5 weaker. That will affect the pickup; slightly reducing the output, adding some sustain and warmth and giving it a softer attack characteristic.

But on the day they were first sold, a 20 year old JB is the same as a brand new one.

I hope that helps.
                Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
                Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

make you wonder !!!!!!!!
                  Wayne Rock-legend #143 Jazz/JB
                  Suhr OD-50
                  Suhr 4x12" Vintage 30's

"Bradshaw" Moded Crybaby, Majik Box Rocket Fuel

Comment

The one guy said he was getting one and that it has an AlNiCo II instead of an AlNiCo V? I've played one or two of these Kramers you're talking about, and I thought that it had different charecteristics than the newer JB equipped guitars I've tried, they sound really good!!!!!
                    ScreamingDaisy: I don't do sympathy. If you want sympathy, it can be found in the dictionary between sh*t and syphilis.

Comment

how very expensive is very expensive?
                      This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp
                        Mac-P, if you have a 20 year old JB, on the day it was purchased, it was the same pickup that a new JB is today. However, over the course of playing the guitar for 20 years you may have exposed the magnet to environmental factors such as physical shock, extreme temperature changes or interaction with other magnets. Over time, those factors will degauss the magnet, making the Alnico 5 weaker. That will affect the pickup; slightly reducing the output, adding some sustain and warmth and giving it a softer attack characteristic.

But on the day they were first sold, a 20 year old JB is the same as a brand new one.

I hope that helps.
                        Thank you Evan. That all makes perfect sense. I suppose those old JB's are sort of like Antiquities at this point.

Yes, thius particular JB has been through the ringer. All the abuses you stated and more. It's been in like, 3 different guitars, exposed to horrible elemements, bla bla.

Whenever I go to a lead with that particular JB and my Fulldrive ll into a big warm Fender amp I smile. It sounds fantastic.

Oh yea, how does the Prototype JB differ in sound from the regular JB?
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
                        buggjuice.net
                        MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by beandip
                          how very expensive is very expensive?
                          I'm pretty sure it said it was 24,000 yen....and that came out to about $227 u.s.d.
                          Last edited by JOLLY; 04-06-2004, 10:11 PM.

Comment

yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            Wayne Rock-legend #143 Jazz/JB
                            Suhr OD-50
                            Suhr 4x12" Vintage 30's

"Bradshaw" Moded Crybaby, Majik Box Rocket Fuel

Comment

I think i will do a comparison with a new JB than put a alnico 4 in it and one from a 1984 kramer baretta.
                              funny thing is the 84 JB appears to have a darker red wire,which as you said evan is no longer used due to the supplier.
                              I KNOW i am not crazy,but to my ears the 84 sounds very different(better)

Comment

Working...
                              X