Tell me about the '59 and Custom Combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about the '59 and Custom Combo

Im using a LP studio gothic and want to get Gary Moore/Vai type leads and smooth jazzy cleans.. Would this be a suitable combo?
    I find the gibson 490R and 498T combo to be muddy and have found a decent second hand deal on this combo- would this be a big improvment?

Thanks for any help..

Re: Tell me about the '59 and Custom Combo

Originally posted by 1968
    Im using a LP studio gothic and want to get Gary Moore/Vai type leads and smooth jazzy cleans.. Would this be a suitable combo?
    I find the gibson 490R and 498T combo to be muddy and have found a decent second hand deal on this combo- would this be a big improvment?

Thanks for any help..

Gary Moore's and Steve Vai's styles and tones are as different as night and day. One is a very vintage sounding tone (Moore) and one is a VERY processed sound (Vai)

Depending on amp and stuff you should be able to come close enough for both but your Les Paul is not going to get an Ibanez sound.
    Gravity...its just a theory

Comment

The 59/Custom combo is very cool.
      It will cover a lot of ground, but will be closer to Moore than to Vai most of the time. I'd get it, and seeing as you already have a 490, put the Alnico II mag from the Gibson pickup into the 59. It's a very cool sound. Thick in the mids with pulled back lows while retaining a good amount of sparkle and chime.

BTW, Welcome to the Forum!
      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
        The 59/Custom combo is very cool.
        It will cover a lot of ground, but will be closer to Moore than to Vai most of the time. I'd get it, and seeing as you already have a 490, put the Alnico II mag from the Gibson pickup into the 59. It's a very cool sound. Thick in the mids with pulled back lows while retaining a good amount of sparkle and chime.

BTW, Welcome to the Forum!
        Thanks for the help people..
        How would I go about changing the magnet? would I need a tech to do it?

Comment

i just got a 59 in the neck of my lp its killer sounds good man creamy, sustains for days, awesome pickup
          Schecter C1 silver top, cream body binding , black hardware, loaded with EMG 81/81
          Epi Les paul honeyburst, loaded with Seymour Duncan DD (b) 59 (n)
          Ibanez Iceman ic300 , Stock pickups
          Yamaha Pacifica , stock
          epiphone acoustic
          marshall combo
          cry baby wah
          monster cables

Comment

Originally posted by 1968
            Thanks for the help people..
            How would I go about changing the magnet? would I need a tech to do it?

No tech needed if you're careful. just loosen the 4 small screws that are in the pickup baseplate and carefully push out the mag and install the replacement mag in the same direction relative to the polarity.
            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Working...
            X