P-rails in parallel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P-rails in parallel?

How does a P-rails sound when wired in parallel? Like any humbucker wired in parallel? More single-coil ish? Anyone tried it?

Re: P-rails in parallel?

Originally posted by RayBarbeeMusic View Post
    How does a P-rails sound when wired in parallel? Like any humbucker wired in parallel? More single-coil ish? Anyone tried it?
    My favorite sound from them. I play mostly using series because of oe I use the LP that they are in and I like the P-90 a lot as well. But when I need a lower output sound for cleaner PAF-ish stuff they are perfect. I think parallel is the must option for these pups

Comment

Love it, use it often, especially in the neck.

Comment

Ok but what does it sound like? Like any other bucker sounds in parallel, or like something else?

Comment

it does not sound like your typical humbucker in parallel. it does not seem as glassy, and the output is higher. it is still very bright but since the output is higher it lends itself nicely to some moderate gain amps, and it has characteristics of both the p-90 and the rail so you can get different sounds by adjusting the pole pieces, much more so than you would with a regular humbucker.

Comment

Sorta PAFish

Comment

Originally posted by DoronEsh View Post
              Sorta PAFish
              Yes.

Remember, the two coils are wound pretty high. So, don't confuse it with a typical low-wind humbucker in parallel. My analogy (simplistic) for P-Rails is that series = high wind humbucker (like a JB) and parallel = PAF'ish humbucker. In my setup, I cannot do both parallel and series. I had it set up in series first, but it was too "hot" for me (I prefer PAF'ish winds). I rewired things to give me the parallel humbucker sound and I am much happier.

Comment

^+1. And as Frank said, it sounds very good in the neck.

I like P-Rails parallel in the neck, but not in the bridge...either P-90 or series there.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

My favorite tone from them. I think they're brighter than a regular PAF. Hey, even a tad brighter than the P90 position! For those who love 72 Thinlines (I own a Squier version), but can't get the original Wide Range pickups, the HB Parallel position brings a lot of the brightness back. And also, the P-Rails work so well with semihollows. I can hear more "hollowness" using the P-Rails than with the stock pickups (which are not bad, BTW).

Comment

Has anyone used the SD wiring diagram option 2 and found the rails stay on when you pull the neck p-p to select the P-90s?

I've got the bridge p-p to select the rails only just fine, but I'm baffled trying to get the P-90s only.

Comment

Without knowing what you did it's impossible to say but most likely you have a wire shorting out. Possibly the white wire at the neck p/p touching the lower lug or shunt wire connected to the lower lug. When wired like the diagram (and with no shorts) everything works as it should. Check your wiring again.
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

^Got it working. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                        X