Problem with Rails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Rails

I recently installed a Vintage Rails in the neck position of my strat and a Cool Rails in the middle. Sometimes when I strum pretty hard, the bottom E string gets caught under the thin plastic top that sticks out at the bottom. Any suggestions?

Re: Problem with Rails

welcome to the board

i promise that i am not trying to be a smart a$$ here ... but my only thoughts are to either lower the pickup's height a little or strum a little less hard ... i honestly cant think of another way

good luck
    t4d
    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Thank you

Yeah I tried lowering the pickups a little but didn't help. As for strumming softer, it's one of those things where I'll be able to do it for awhile but then I'll stop. I might try taking the plastic top off and see if that'll work. Might look kinda funky but whatever works. Anyways, thanks for the feedback!

Comment

Originally posted by peenuts77
        Thank you

Yeah I tried lowering the pickups a little but didn't help. As for strumming softer, it's one of those things where I'll be able to do it for awhile but then I'll stop. I might try taking the plastic top off and see if that'll work. Might look kinda funky but whatever works. Anyways, thanks for the feedback!
        I wouldnt take the top of a rail pup. I've heard some people put tape around the end so the strings wont catch. Could also go up a guage on the string thats gettin caught up so it wont vibrate as much.

Comment

Lowering the pickup or raising the action are the only things I can think of.
          Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

Try putting tape around the end. On my Kramer, I was having problems getting the high E caught under the top lip of the bobbin on the neck humbucker. So, I ran a piece of Scotch tape from the top surface of the bobbin to the pickguard, and that seems to have done a pretty good job of deflecting the strng.
            This machine kills fascists

Comment

Thanks a lot fellas! Appreciate all the info. I'm gonna try putting some tape on the bottom but maybe something a little stronger than scotch tape.
              Hey MattPete that's a beautiful lookin strat you got there. How does the QP sound with the mahogany?

Comment

Sorry you're having that problem peenuts77 (and welcome to the forum). We've heard about that problem before and we're going to fix it so future players don't have to deal with it. I know that doesn't help you (though the tape suggestion works), but rest assured that future Strat strummers won't be plagued by snagged strings.

Stay tuned for more details...
                Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
                Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Thank you Evan. The tape worked so it's all good. By the way, are you a Gaucho by any chance? I actually bought my first electric guitar in Isla Vista, from this guy who had a little guitar shop above the liquor store, forget the name. I remember all his strats had SD's and him telling me about you guys. I bought a piece of crap Samick. Anyways, muchas gracias.

Comment

I'm a Bruin by alma mater, but I teach a marketing class at UCSB, so I guess I'm a Gaucho as well.

Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
                    Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Working...
                    X