help with pickup exchange in les paul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with pickup exchange in les paul

hi, im gonna put 2 new alnico 2 pro humbuckers in my les paul classic. just to make sure, all i have to do is unsolder the hot cable from both humbuckers connected to the volume pots, and take the humbuckers out right, then solder the new sd humbuckers hot cables to where the old ones were and thats all the soldering i need to do right? also, should i leave the length of the cables stock, or cut them down to how the gibson pickups are?

ps:i couldnt find the a2p's with nickel covers but still want to buy some and some covers for these, also is it possible to get these in cream with a trembuckers spacing without going through the custom shop? thanx

Re: help with pickup exchange in les paul

Yeah, and of course the groundwires which is soldered to the back of the volume-pots... Otherwise correct. Leave the lenght of the wire as it is - maybe you'll need the extra lenght someday.

Don't know about the a2p's in trembucker-version. I'm pretty sure they only come in black and with standard-spacing. Anybody?
    Regards, JakeDK

Comment

Depends on whether you have 4-conductor wires for the pups or if they are traditional single-conductor wire with braided shield.

4-conductor: green and bare are soldered to ground (back of a pot), red and white soldered together and wrapped in electrical tape. Then black is "hot" and goes to the lug on the volume pot.

Single conductor: Braided shield is grounded (back of a pot), the wire underneath is hot.
      Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
      Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
      Originally posted by Sosomething
      "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

How is everyone? Glad I found this board. Im looking to customise my Les Paul studio I have stock 490 and 498. I play mostly metal....what kind of pickups should I be looking toward. I have heard the dimebuckers are horrible....R.I.P And everyone knows the active EMGS are good. So far Im looking to buy and EMG 60 And 81. I don't like the scooped sound, I love my Midrange. Anyways, in Seymore Duncans camp What can be compareable without selling out....so to speak....I wish I can try them all out. I have a Line 6 Flextone 3 and plug straight in. Just looking for a little more fire from my pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by HarrisonDavid
          How is everyone? Glad I found this board. Im looking to customise my Les Paul studio I have stock 490 and 498. I play mostly metal....what kind of pickups should I be looking toward. I have heard the dimebuckers are horrible....R.I.P And everyone knows the active EMGS are good. So far Im looking to buy and EMG 60 And 81. I don't like the scooped sound, I love my Midrange. Anyways, in Seymore Duncans camp What can be compareable without selling out....so to speak....I wish I can try them all out. I have a Line 6 Flextone 3 and plug straight in. Just looking for a little more fire from my pickups.

The Dimebucker isn't really crap, it just depends on one's taste. EMG's really don't do it for me ( I have some in a Hamer that are coming out). for metal in a Paul, I'd go with a Distortion set if you don't care much about your cleans, or a Pearly Gates in the neck and a Custom for the bridge if you want to be able to cover a wider tonal spectrum.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Hey Budweiser! You can get the A2P's in double creme. The way you have to order them is under a cover and then take the cover off. It's a floor shop custom. I have a Jazz and an A2P that are shop floor customs like that, but aren't trem spaced (about 85 bucks only about 8 bucks more). I also have some regular covers (came off the jazz and A2P if you want to buy some.

Luke
            “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Working...
            X