What SD in Gibson SG Standard???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What SD in Gibson SG Standard???

Alright here's the deal.. I have a Gibson SG Standard with an EMG 81 in the bridge. I thought that this would be a great sounding pickup, but it isn't that great. I am looking into putting a passive humbucker back into the SG but I am not sure which one is for me. I play in a rock/screamo/emo/post hardcore/whatever band... (Idon't know how to classify it, its all rock) and I play through a VHT Pittbull 100/CL w/ EQ with Framus Dragon cab. I want something that can be heavy. I thought about the JB, (I had a Custom in an LP one time and hated it) and the Gibson Dirty Fingers... I want good output with clarity and nothing too muddy. HELP!!!
    Last edited by Caroway; 12-23-2004, 04:12 PM.

Re: What SD in Gibson SG Standard???

Much people like the custom in a SG i think. But if you didn't like it. I didn't liked it as much as the JB though for metal i t would be great.

JB has good output paired with clarity much upper mids a great high gain sound and an ok clean sound + nice split sound.
    AFAIK Thursdays guitarists are using a JB in a SG too.
    RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
    TS 7 (modded)
    Hot Rod 50+ XL
    Framus Dragon 4x12
    V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Welcome to the board...in all honesty you might do just fine with something simple like a 59b or a Custom 5. A JB is always a good choice. A Duncan Distortion is a great pup for heavy stuff but it still has TON of clarity, as is a Custom.

good luck

The guy who invented fire
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys... I think I am going to go for the JB w/ nickel cover... The stuff we are playing is similar to Thursday/(new) Midtown/etc...

Comment

If you want to hear the C5 in action check this thread

Sound Clips and Playing Tips. Post Your MP3 links here as well as Q/A regarding guitar playing. Recording gear questions posted here.

I think the C5 has real glassy tone here, which lots of poeple desn't like.

Comment

I would go with the Dime in the bridge.
            It can be heavy as **** and hold together under the high gain of a VHT.

here are some clips with the dime in the bridge.
            Sound Clips and Playing Tips. Post Your MP3 links here as well as Q/A regarding guitar playing. Recording gear questions posted here.

Rock on.
            This space is for rent.

Comment

C-5/59N in nickel is the best combo for LP's, SG's, and McCarties for a good powerful and clear tone. The JB isn't bad, but with an all mahogany body, mated with a midrangier pickup, your cleans will be too honky. Try a C-5. It's like vintage tone with enough output to sound modern.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

if your amp is high gain, get a low output pickup. my band plays screamo/emo/indie music and my main guitar has a pearly gates in the bridge. The thing is incredible. clarity out the butt hole. Im putting a '59 in my SG as soon as i get ahold of one.

Just my $0.02
                PRS Singlecuts
                Epiphone Sheraton II
                Vintage acoustics

Comment

Thats not a bad idea... our other guitar player uses a Guild BLuesbird through a 1983 Marshall JCM 800 MK II 50 Watt and it sounds pretty damn good... I am still unsure though.

Comment

i have tried most of the seymour duncan line of humbuckers and i have found that i like the low output pickups the best, they have the most clarity and can rock hard. Maybe high output pickups are your thing, but through all of my experience i keep coming back to the lower output pickups. I have found that high output pickups sound too compressed for our style of music and dont let the amp do the overdriving. The recommendations i have for the SG are the '59 or the screamin demon (i havent tried it in an SG but people recommended it to me as a great pickup for the SG and its relatively low output. I used to have one in a les paul...great pickup.)

Let us know what you decide!
                    PRS Singlecuts
                    Epiphone Sheraton II
                    Vintage acoustics

Comment

I think i am going to go with teh Gibson '57 classic plus for the bridge..

Comment

if the other guiatr player has a bluesbird he has Duncan 59's...a 59 is a much better pickup IMO that a Classic 59+...good luck either way.
                        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

a set of 59s sounds pretty good for the SG... I am considering it...

Comment

An SG is a different animal than most guitars because of a number of reasons. Pickups that work or don't work in a Les Paul for example may or may not work in an SG.

The SG's bridge pickup slot is located VERY close to the actual bridge. This means you have to compensate with a pickup that is warmer, smoother on the top end, louder and with more midrange than in other guitars.

The neck slot is located closer to the bridge than in most guitars (it is NOT right by the end of the fingerboard at the 22nd fret). This means you can get away with a bassier pickup here than in a Les Paul.

I have tried EVERYTHING in my SG's (I am not kidding).

In my opinion (and it is just that, no more), something like a JB is the way to go. You will get some nice body to the notes while still maintaining a degree of upper end brightness.

Something like a C5 which was mentioned earlier was a disaster for me. It is very light in the mids so the notes sounded thin, weak and tinkly.

I liked the Custom better than the C5, but it still was a bit too bright. The Custom Custom and it's hot wound alnico ll magnets didn't afford enough cleans (the combo of hot winding and easily distortable alnico ll's was a bad combo for my taste). The JB is voiced VERY well to keep notes fat, but not sacrifice treble.

Pickups that sounded good:

Bridge:
                            Duncan JB
                            Duncan Custom (can be too bright if your taste leans towards warmth)
                            Rio Grande BBQ (like a JB but darker and bassier - can be TOO warm if you like bright)
                            DiMarzio Air Zone (a hair brighter than the JB and more polite)
                            DiMarzio Breed (very similar to the JB but more polite)

Neck:
                            Duncan '59
                            Duncan Pearly Gates (less bassy and more mids than the '59)
                            Rio Grande Genuine Texas (works well with the BBQ)

Good luck!
                            Last edited by Mac-P; 12-29-2004, 08:50 AM.
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
                            buggjuice.net
                            MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Mac-P

Pickups that sounded good:

Bridge:
                              Duncan JB
                              Duncan Custom (can be too bright if your taste leans towards warmth)
                              Rio Grande BBQ (like a JB but darker and bassier - can be TOO warm if you like bright)
                              DiMarzio Air Zone (a hair brighter than the JB and more polite)
                              DiMarzio Breed (very similar to the JB but more polite)
                              Which bridge pu are you using in your SG right now

Comment

Working...
                              X