duncan or emg?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• duncan or emg?

Hi guys. this is my first post in this forum. i have a really important question! right now i have a crappy guitar and a crappy amp ( epiphone les paul 100 and crate 15 watt amp) and sounds really really bad!!! i want to put new pickups in my guitar, but since the guitar is so bad, should i put duncans or emg's in it? i've heard that emg's make even a crappy guitar sound good.

the sound i'm going for is a kind of versatile sound. i want it to be able to sound good for classic stuff (aerosmith, zep..), 80's stuff (i love randy rhoads' tone), and even new stuff (disturbed, godsmack, ..).

is there any combo that can help me do this? i was thinkin maybe a JB/59 or JB/Jazz, but will this sound good in a bad guitar? maybe i should get a EMG 81/85? any suggestions???

i wouldn't mind getting a pedal for the new stuff, like maybe a digitech metal master pedal? but i only want one pedal b/c i dont like too many of them what do you think??

Re: duncan or emg?

I am sure that everyone on this forum with any experience with tone will agree with me when I tell you that you will NEVER be able to sound great with a 15 watt crate practice amp. Even if you had a 59 les paul it would not get you jimmy page or Randy Rhoads tone. I believe that you first need to get a good amp, and THEN pickups will help you nail the exact tone that you are after. I don't think that it would not be a good investment to put arround 200 dollars into a 150 dollar guitar and then expect to get good tone through a practice amp cuz it aint gonna happen.
    Voodoo Amps 50 and 100 watt V-Plex heads
    Voodoo Amps Texas Heat 1x12 combo
    Longhorn Amps "The Barn Owl" 1x12 combo
    1981 JCM 800 2204 Head
    1984 (Bogner Modified) JCM 800 4103 2X12 Combo
    ESP Eclipse Custom Shop '07 with WCR Cherrybucker Set
    ESP Eclipse Custom Shop '07 with EMG 81 and 60
    ESP Viper Custom Shop '07 with EMG 81 and 85
    ESP Esquire Custom Shop (Jeff Beck)
    Gibson SG Standard with WCR American Steele Set

Comment

Originally posted by heavydutysg135
      I am sure that everyone on this forum with any experience with tone will agree with me when I tell you that you will NEVER be able to sound great with a 15 watt crate practice amp. Even if you had a 59 les paul it would not get you jimmy page or Randy Rhoads tone. I believe that you first need to get a good amp, and THEN pickups will help you nail the exact tone that you are after. I don't think that it would not be a good investment to put arround 200 dollars into a 150 dollar guitar and then expect to get good tone through a practice amp cuz it aint gonna happen.
      Great advice. I agree 100%.

And when you DO get a better amp, go Duncan (or passive pickup in general) any day of the week over EMG's or active pickups if you want anything resembling an "organic" sound.

None of the influences you listed use EMG's. Certain players get a great tone from em (Zakk Wylde), but for the most part, active pickups can make a great guitar sterile and a bit TOO perfect and artificial sounding.

This is just my opinion mind you, but one that I share with many many players.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
      buggjuice.net
      MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

For the price of two new pickups and a pedal you could buy a decent tube amp. I would reccomend a peavy classic for you because it can give you the sound that you are after and can be found very cheap used (less than $300). You may also want to look into the fender hot rod or blues series. If you save up a little more you could also get a peavey 5150 which would be a GREAT rock amp. You could get a new guitar or pickups later on which would add to the sound, but you need to have a solid foundation (ie. amp) to build upon.
        Voodoo Amps 50 and 100 watt V-Plex heads
        Voodoo Amps Texas Heat 1x12 combo
        Longhorn Amps "The Barn Owl" 1x12 combo
        1981 JCM 800 2204 Head
        1984 (Bogner Modified) JCM 800 4103 2X12 Combo
        ESP Eclipse Custom Shop '07 with WCR Cherrybucker Set
        ESP Eclipse Custom Shop '07 with EMG 81 and 60
        ESP Viper Custom Shop '07 with EMG 81 and 85
        ESP Esquire Custom Shop (Jeff Beck)
        Gibson SG Standard with WCR American Steele Set

Comment

One of things that's so great about this Forum is how entry-level players are treated with respect by the older, more experienced folk. Nice job.

Welcome to the User Group Forum gnr4ever. Stick around here and you'll learn a ton about getting great tone.
          Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
          Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

thanks for the help guys. i'm gonna take your advice and save up for an amp and maybe get it by summer! thanks a lot!

Comment

YUP amp!!!! IM geting a single rectifier head and a 2 x 12 hopefully this summer as well, my guitar is OK its a MIM strat with a hotrial so its a medicore guitar but wiht a rocking amp it will ROCK MY SOCKS! I only have a 10 watt marshall partcie amp right now ( but hey its a marshall!) Later i plan on sticking to my guitar and save up for liek 3 years to get me my gibson les paul! But for your axe i'd say invest some money and get betetr picks or a better axe all together, i wouldnt go with EMG's but they can work...i'd say duncans if your trying to get hat calssic rock type sound.
              Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

Good luck with the Rectifier bro. Nice amp. What cab??

Comment

Working...
                X