Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SH-14 in strat

Hey guys,

In looking at SD pickups I noticed the SH-14 whhich is supposed to be a cross between a Custom Custom and a Custom 5 (?)

I have a HSS strat and want to have a vintage tone but with a bit more output and character.

Would the SH-14 be a good choice? I am looking for some good bass and something not too piercing in the highs.

thanks

Re: SH-14 in strat

Well.. Actually..

The SH-14 is the Custom 5.. It's in between the Custom Custom (SH-11) and the Custom (SH-5)...

In all reality. I don't think it's in between them at all. It seems like a totally different pickup even though its just a A5 mag.

Anyway, I love the C5, especially in Mahagony. I had one in an alder strat for awhile.. It definitely helps out the bass part in the bridge of a strat. But, it can get kind of piercing with the wrong settings.. What I also found was that it didn't cut through too well in a band situation, but alone it sounds pretty sweet.

The reason it's not cutting through because of what some call 'scooped'. But it sounds more like retained mids to me.. A lot of other here will agree with that. Anyway, the SH-14 C5 is a Sweet pup. It'll get you a nice classic crunchy sound in a strat. Just watch out for being "heard" sometime!

Cheers!

Cory
    '03 Gibson LP Premium Plus (FS/Stock)
    '02 MIM Fender Strat (C5/Stock/Stock)
    '03 5150 Combo
    MXR Phase 90

Comment

Originally posted by CoryXC

In all reality. I don't think it's in between them at all. It seems like a totally different pickup even though its just a A5 mag.

Anyway, I love the C5, especially in Mahagony. I had one in an alder strat for awhile.. It definitely helps out the bass part in the bridge of a strat. But, it can get kind of piercing with the wrong settings.. What I also found was that it didn't cut through too well in a band situation, but alone it sounds pretty sweet.

That's exactly what i was hearing when i installed the C5 in my strat.....i think you could also take a look at the CC....it is a really nice pickup...

Comment

Originally posted by fenderiarhs
        That's exactly what i was hearing when i installed the C5 in my strat.....i think you could also take a look at the CC....it is a really nice pickup...
        yes, CCs sound very nice in strats ive heard.
        There is no spoone
        - The Matricks

Comment

I don't recommend the Custom 5 for a bright guitar. It does have a lot of bass, but it also has very piercing highs, as well as a pulled back midrange. The Custom Custom probably won't have enough bass for your liking. Assuming your Strat has a trem, I would suggest the Blues Trembucker. It's not a super high output pickup, but it does have a little more output than a PAF style pickup. You might also like the Demon.

Ryan
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

I have the custom 5 and the custom custom. To my ears, the custom 5 has a less trebly spike than a 59 in the bridge, but because the custom 5 has a "flatter" sound compared to the other duncan pickups, it may sound a bit scooped and "trebly" as some may say. I have a custom custom in a thinline mahogany strat with a rosewood fingerboard. The fact that my strat is mahogany and not poplar or alder kinda skews things, but even still, in a bright strat, the custom custom is a dream. It is very warm and round. What it lacks in "boomy bass" it makes up for with low mid range punch. It has a very low midrange growl. Palm muted chords have a very percussive click to the sound.

However, in the case of my strat, it's actually too dark and compressed sounding when overdriven. It crunches nicely and the lead bridge tone is to die for, but for heavy riffs, it may seem to get lost in the mix if you're using thick strings and have a dark sounding rig. Chords on the low E string can even get muddy. The clean tone is gorgeous with no ice pick type treble. On a bright strat, this won't really be an issue.

One thing about the custom custom, is that when overdriven, the sound is just enough to hear and cut, but it stays in the background. It stays under the mix without being overpowering, yet is still heard.

I've decided to go with a JB in my strat and hopefully it will brighten my strat up a bit, yet retain the mid range growl.
            Guitars
            BastardCaster - Mahogany Strat with APH Bridge and single coils in neck and mid.
            Epi Les Paul Std. - JB bridge Jazz Neck (Love the Jazz, undecided on the JB)

Mullet - Crap plywood ibanez knockoff with high output bridge humbucker.
            P.O.S. - Microphonic P-90 pickup with surprisingly good tone. You can also use it as a microphone!

Amps
            1977 Marshall JMP MKII 2204 head / 1960 slanted 4x12 cab with 2 Vintage 30's and 2 G12T75's
            Laney VC-30 212

Comment

Originally posted by aestus
              I have the custom 5 and the custom custom. To my ears, the custom 5 has a less trebly spike than a 59 in the bridge, but because the custom 5 has a "flatter" sound compared to the other duncan pickups, it may sound a bit scooped and "trebly" as some may say. I have a custom custom in a thinline mahogany strat with a rosewood fingerboard. The fact that my strat is mahogany and not poplar or alder kinda skews things, but even still, in a bright strat, the custom custom is a dream. It is very warm and round. What it lacks in "boomy bass" it makes up for with low mid range punch. It has a very low midrange growl. Palm muted chords have a very percussive click to the sound.

However, in the case of my strat, it's actually too dark and compressed sounding when overdriven. It crunches nicely and the lead bridge tone is to die for, but for heavy riffs, it may seem to get lost in the mix if you're using thick strings and have a dark sounding rig. Chords on the low E string can even get muddy. The clean tone is gorgeous with no ice pick type treble. On a bright strat, this won't really be an issue.

One thing about the custom custom, is that when overdriven, the sound is just enough to hear and cut, but it stays in the background. It stays under the mix without being overpowering, yet is still heard.

I've decided to go with a JB in my strat and hopefully it will brighten my strat up a bit, yet retain the mid range growl.
              That is interesting. My most recent Duncan humbucker in a strat is was a CC (SH-11). I thought a 59 in that guitar was too bright, and was advised by SD tech support NOT to go with the C5. But, I have a bright sounding guitar and a bright amp setup, and had been looking for ways to push it darker.

My feeling is that strats make a great clean sound, but are a bit lacking on the dirty classic rock-type overdriven sounds. One reason is because of the lack of mids (Not too many highs, which can be rolled off with a tone control.)

Comment

I highly recommened the CC in the bridge of a Strat.
                IMHO, A5 pups work better in Les Paul style guitars

Comment

Working...
                X