banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wondering if my pickup needs to be wax potted..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wondering if my pickup needs to be wax potted..

i got a '59 about 2 months ago, and it was single conductor, and I took it apart so I can add the extra wire for coil tapping, and it works fine and all but I'm always reading about the advantages of wax potting a pickup. So I'm wondering if I did any damage by taking it apart? I remember there being a lot of wax when unscrewing the base plate..
    Last edited by Ragingguitarist18; 04-06-2004, 08:13 PM.

Re: wondering if my pickup needs to be wax potted..

I've never taken a pup apart like that, but the purpose of the wax potting is to fill the airspaces that cause microphonics. I guess if you notice a problem with squeeling, you could dip it again. Parifin or bees wax works fine. It's not hard to do.

I guess what I'm saying is that if it's not causing you a problem, then why mess with it. There's a section at the end of this tutorial that shows how to dip the pup.

My Sound Clips

Comment

Originally posted by Ragingguitarist18
      i got a '59 about 2 months ago, and it was single conductor, and I took it apart so I can add the extra wire for coil tapping, and it works fine and all but I'm always reading about the advantages of wax potting a pickup. So I'm wondering if I did any damage by taking it apart? I remember there being a lot of wax when unscrewing the base plate..
      I have never had a problem personally by doing a magent swap which requires that you loosen the plate screws, i also had made a custom/59 hybrid when it was the talk of the town and with that project you have to replace a whole coil.still no problems with feedback and i do not repot the pups.
      if you are not experiencing and increased feedback problems dont try to fix what aint broke

Comment

thanks for the help guys

Comment

Working...
        X