banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cavity route necessary for LP coil splitting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cavity route necessary for LP coil splitting?

I brought my LP standard to my guitar tech for a pickup change (jazz/jb) and rewire, and I wanted to coil split both pickups. He said that routing the guitar cavity is necessary for this. I wasn't sure about this, but I've been able to find an SPST long shaft push/pull pot, but not a DPDT with the right shaft for my LP standard. My guitar tech said that only Gibson manufactures the DPDT, and they don't sell it.

So I either let him route the cavity (and pay for it), or use SPST pots. I've heard of people getting their LP cavity routed, but will the SPST option work as well? Are there any drawbacks? Thanks
    "After I die I shall return to earth as the doorkeeper of a bordello and I won't let a one of you in." -Arturo Toscanini

Re: cavity route necessary for LP coil splitting?

Originally posted by TwofacePimp
    I brought my LP standard to my guitar tech for a pickup change (jazz/jb) and rewire, and I wanted to coil split both pickups. He said that routing the guitar cavity is necessary for this. I wasn't sure about this, but I've been able to find an SPST long shaft push/pull pot, but not a DPDT with the right shaft for my LP standard. My guitar tech said that only Gibson manufactures the DPDT, and they don't sell it.

So I either let him route the cavity (and pay for it), or use SPST pots. I've heard of people getting their LP cavity routed, but will the SPST option work as well? Are there any drawbacks? Thanks
    you can use 2 spdt push/pull or push/push switches, one to split each coil, the drawbacks with this are to split both coils you have to hit 2 switches, but no routing!

Comment

I'm not the expert around here on the long shaft vs short shaft DPDT vs SPST pots...that would be Robert. However, I'd be very leary of someone wanting to route the cavity of my Les Paul. There has to be a source for the parts you want. I'm sure you're not the first to want to split buckers in a LP.

Hang out until someone who really knows sets the record straight before letting someone with a power tool loose near your Les Paul.
      My Sound Clips

Comment

Originally posted by TwofacePimp

Well, I'll tell ya an easy way to do it, and not later, or even have to replace anything ... use the extra lug on each pups tone knob, just run your tap line there (your red and white, or black and green; depending what coil you want grounded out). Your tone will work normally up to about 8, or 8.5 or so ... then at 10 it will split the pup, you can even blend the coil out somewhat (whatever room between 10, and where it's a normal pup), the only down side is that you can't be in single coil mode and use the tone knob (because it's at 10 ) . Most people don't find this to be a problem though, it's quick, it's easy, and if you don't like it, just unhook it ... thank you Adrian Legg ...
        Your tech should know how to do this, by the way, you can obtain replacement parts from Gibson thru their dealers for just about anything ... If nothing else a store will say that one of their guys messed up something inside one, and they need replacement parts.
        ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
        ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
        Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Working...
        X