ground problem, need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ground problem, need help

well, i wired one of my guitars with 2 humbuckers to have 2 push/push pots, each toggles series/parallel for each of the pickups. i have a ground problem, there is a buzzing when i take my hand off any grounded objects/the strings. on my 3 way toggle, when it is set to have the neck pickup active, there is the a buzz, but it goes away when i touch the strings, when both pickups are selected there is barely more hum than with only the neck selected, and with the bridge selected, there isnt quite as much. all of the hum is gon ewhen i touch the strings. with a multimeter i put one probe on the trem claw and the other on the ground ring of the output jack and it read 0k, wha tis wrong?

Re: ground problem, need help

ok, i tested every component on the guitar i could possibly think of, they're all perfectly fine, so i tested my guitar cabled, all fine, so i switched amps, problem persists... would flipping a pickup magnet possibly fix this?

Comment

I think that it is possible to get low hum even after grounding things properly. I remember that was a conflict I ran into before. Hum is a combination of everything: guitar wiring/pups, amp, pedals etc. I think it's normal to get a low amount of hum.

Even though humbucking pups are supposed to be noise cancelling, I've found that it isn't always the case.
      Originally posted by kevlar3000
      I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
      Originally posted by Zerberus
      Better is often the enemy of good
      Originally posted by ginormous
      Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris
        I think that it is possible to get low hum even after grounding things properly. I remember that was a conflict I ran into before. Hum is a combination of everything: guitar wiring/pups, amp, pedals etc. I think it's normal to get a low amount of hum.

Even though humbucking pups are supposed to be noise cancelling, I've found that it isn't always the case.
        ya, but is it normal for hum only when your not touching the strings?

Comment

Could be bad wiring at your house. I put a cool rails, classic stack and blender pot in my friends strat. I checked each connection as I went and still got ground hum when I was done. Brought it to his gig. He plugged in, no hum. Same deal with another strat I recently worked on. Tried it out at my apartment and got hum. I checked it at a Guitar Center, no hum.

But my charvel (dime, cool rails) which is wired the same way as the strats with star grounding, dual conductor plus shield for the jack, w/the shield not connected to ground, doesn't hum at my apartment. Weird.

I remember way back Robert S. had to have the wiring redone in his house because he was having noise problems. That could be it. Check it out at another location.

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz6
            Could be bad wiring at your house. I put a cool rails, classic stack and blender pot in my friends strat. I checked each connection as I went and still got ground hum when I was done. Brought it to his gig. He plugged in, no hum. Same deal with another strat I recently worked on. Tried it out at my apartment and got hum. I checked it at a Guitar Center, no hum.

But my charvel (dime, cool rails) which is wired the same way as the strats with star grounding, dual conductor plus shield for the jack, w/the shield not connected to ground, doesn't hum at my apartment. Weird.

I remember way back Robert S. had to have the wiring redone in his house because he was having noise problems. That could be it. Check it out at another location.
            alright, that may be it, thanks man

Comment

i just rewired a les paul with antiquitys and had the same problem, mine was a problem with the bridge ground wire but it sounds like that isnt your problem. is everything grounded to one central spot and then the wire run to the jack from there?

Comment

A bad pot will cause that problem and you won't get a metered variance. Completely bypass the pots in the guitar and if the problem goes away you have a component issue.
                www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
                www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
                http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

hah, my luck, it was my power outlet, i tried it with a diffeent guitar had the same proble, went to my buddies house and tried it out, it worked fine, it doent bother me much, just thinking that i screwed up was irritating me, bu tnow i dont care, thanks guys

Comment

Working...
                  X