Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 59/Custom Hybrid Review With Audio

Originally posted by lazyfinger View Post
    Try it with a UOA5, I guarantee you'll love it! It takes a great pickup to awesome-ness.
    I don't know if I'd want to try a UOA5 since the 59/Custom is already kind of loose. Polished A5 seems to be tighter than UOA5. However, I'd like to know if there is a smaller size A8. I know the magnets in the Dimarzio "air" pickups are smaller than Seymour Duncan magnets. If I could get a smaller A8, then it might be worth a shot. It would be tight, focused, and hotter.

Comment

Originally posted by UberMetalDood View Post
      I don't know if I'd want to try a UOA5 since the 59/Custom is already kind of loose. Polished A5 seems to be tighter than UOA5. However, I'd like to know if there is a smaller size A8. I know the magnets in the Dimarzio "air" pickups are smaller than Seymour Duncan magnets. If I could get a smaller A8, then it might be worth a shot. It would be tight, focused, and hotter.
      Actually, I didn't find that all that "looser" than A5, looser than ceramic and A8 yes, but not too far away from A5. UOA5 is like a darker A5 with less high and bass, so it accentuates those mids a little more. Tighter than A2 and A3. For a lower output A8, try the A4, but since you want more focused and hot, try the small and big ceramic.

Comment

In my Custom 5, the Roughcast UOA5 was MUCH looser than the regular A5.

Comment

Originally posted by symptom View Post
          In my Custom 5, the Roughcast UOA5 was MUCH looser than the regular A5.
          Hmm, could be I have an axe that keeps it tight, I know I didn't like the A5 in Phat Cat and Custom 5 when I used it, it was bassy and low mids were "dry" not singing.

Comment

Originally posted by lazyfinger View Post
            Hmm, could be I have an axe that keeps it tight, I know I didn't like the A5 in Phat Cat and Custom 5 when I used it, it was bassy and low mids were "dry" not singing.
            Maybe... My guitar is an Epiphone SG, which needs bass response and have a lot of mids by itself.

Comment

Originally posted by symptom View Post
              Maybe... My guitar is an Epiphone SG, which needs bass response and have a lot of mids by itself.
              uhh! OK, I had a SG copy that did the same.

Comment

Originally posted by UberMetalDood View Post
                I'm just starting to get more into ceramic pickups. I started first enjoying the Super Distortion and then the D-Sonic even more. I recently gave the Custom an honest run and liked as much as the D-Sonic. However, the 59/Custom is kind of deceptive because even though it's not a hot pickup, it's so sensitive that it seems like it has a fairly high output. It cleans up extremely well. With all the distortion I had in this audio clip, the 59/Custom Hybrid can clean up to a bluesy breakup just by rolling my strat volume down to 7.
                Ceramic pups are hard to beat for an 'in your face' sound; makes me think of drag racing. Air modded ones sound pretty good too, bit tamer if a regular one is too much.

Yea, I noticed that the output of the 59/C was lower but the overall tone didn't seem diminished. Maybe since the 59/C emphasizes those freqs flattering to one's hearing that it still sounds loud - probably that crispness and midrange discussed before doing the job.
                Originally posted by dominus
                Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

I think the nature of the hybrid may make it more finicky as to which magnet is best. I have a Custom/jazz, and nothing but a polished A5 worked in the chambered Studio it is in. Luckily that magnet is the 100% best for that combo.

Comment

AN UPDATE: The 59/Custom Hybrid is a good pickup. I think it provides a much needed addition to the Duncan line. However, I think the problem that I have with it is that I don't start liking the pickup until I've been playing it for a while. When I initially pick up my guitar, it just seems like something is missing. Then, after my ears adjust, I start liking the pickup again. I can't describe exactly what it is. All I can say about it is that there's just something missing. I think I'm leaning towards a Custom, JB or back to the Pearly Gates.
                    Last edited by UberMetalDood; 06-17-2012, 10:08 PM.

Comment

I recently bought the 59/custom hybrid, and a Custom which I put an UOA5 magnet in. I have them in similar PRS guitars. Right now I am liking the UOA5-Custom better than the hybrid. The hybrid is a bit too... I dunno... Fizzy... Hot... clangy.... something. I think the hybrid sounds more like a ceramic magnet pickup than the custom did when the Custom HAD a ceramic magnet in it, and the hybrid is an A5. I need to put in some more time with both, and mess with the height of the Hybrid some more. I might try an UOA5 magnet in the hybrid, but I was kinda waiting for a few adventurers to do that before me, and report back to us.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. B View Post
                        I recently bought the 59/custom hybrid, and a Custom which I put an UOA5 magnet in. I have them in similar PRS guitars. Right now I am liking the UOA5-Custom better than the hybrid. The hybrid is a bit too... I dunno... Fizzy... Hot... clangy.... something. I think the hybrid sounds more like a ceramic magnet pickup than the custom did when the Custom HAD a ceramic magnet in it, and the hybrid is an A5. I need to put in some more time with both, and mess with the height of the Hybrid some more. I might try an UOA5 magnet in the hybrid, but I was kinda waiting for a few adventurers to do that before me, and report back to us.
                        I'm starting to believe that the 59/Custom Hybrid would be best fit with a smaller A8 magnet. I think it would tame the brightness, tighten everything, and add low mids. To me, A8 is too powerful. I don't know if they make a slightly smaller size but if they do then putting some of those little plastic rings (Dimarzio Air mod) and the smaller size A8 would probably make a real awesome pickup.

Comment

I really think that the UOA5 fits better in the hybrid than the A5. I haven't tried an A8 init yet, but that may also be a good option.
                          Originally Posted by IanBallard
                          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I only wish this pickup was as good as boutique or custom shop pickups.

Comment

The 59/Custom hybrid sounds imbalanced and bright to me. I think the Custom and 59 sound better.

Comment

I have an A8 in mine, and it isn't over the top by any means. I love it.
                                My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
                                The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
                                Originally posted by CTN
                                I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
                                FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

Working...
                                X