Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Duncan Distortion With An A5 or A2?

Originally posted by Jfar
    Some one need to straighten this guy out.

When did EVH started using Distorion pickups with Alinco II's?

Answer: He never did !!
    In addition to his old PAFs, Eddie used a DiMarzio Super Distortion with an old PAF magnet in it for quite a while, according to Eddie himself.

Whether or not the Super Distortion is similar to the Duncan Distortion, I don't know.

I highly doubt Curt Mitchell recorded his "play like Van Halen" vidoes with a Duncan Distortion (which is actually the genesis of this thread), but I suppose it's possible.

I'm partially at fault here, because I told him my above sentiments, and speculated that maybe Curt was copying Eddie by putting a warmer magnet in a "distortion-style" pickup. Pure speculation on my part.

I think in the end, he's better off staying away from Distortion pups if trying to obtain a VH tone, regardless of what Curt Mitchell does.

Comment

Re: Duncan Distortion With An A5 or A2?

Originally posted by theodie
      I will correct ya, The DD has a resistance of 16.6K. With an A5 magnet it should very close to a JB which has 16.4K. BTW, The custom has a resistance of 14.1.
      Whoopsie....I was looking at the wrong p-up's resistance.

FWIW, I like them both and they both work great together in the same guitar.

Comment

Working...
      X