pickup changing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pickup changing question

ok, i have a seymour duncan JB pickup that i was going to use on the guitar im making. but i have been getting a peircing squeel out of my amp. i know it is because i like to use a fair amount of distortion (not huge amounts) and i also have to stand quite close to my amp in my jamming room. but would a seymour duncan squeel less than a stock pickup from a $400[AU](cheap) guitar? ... though the switch would likely be temporary...

(i posted this on the metallica forum, and didnt get any help. hopefully a forum dedicated to pickups will be of more help)

Re: pickup changing question

The problem is, if you play very loud, and you must stand close to your amp, you're dealing with fundamental laws of nature. A good quality pickup may actually make the problem worse, by virtue of its higher output.

I don't know if trying some of the shielding techniques outlined over at www.guitarnuts.com might help or not.

Comment

The problem is, if you play very loud, and you must stand close to your amp, you're dealing with fundamental laws of nature. A good quality pickup may actually make the problem worse, by virtue of its higher output.

I don't know if trying some of the shielding techniques outlined over at www.guitarnuts.com might help or not.

well, im not playing excessivly loud. some might say not loud enough.
      but i do have to stand pretty close to my amp.
      on the bright side, i have gotten pretty good at turning my guitar down when im not playing.
      thank you very much for the link and your time
      Last edited by MetallicA_cKy; 04-07-2004, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MetallicA_cKy
        well, im not playing excessivly loud. some might say not loud enough.
        but i do have to stand pretty close to my amp.
        on the bright side, i have gotten pretty good at turning my guitar down when im not playing.
        thank you very much for the link and your time
        was the pickup installed properly? (grounding, bridge ground etc)

for the most part what was said before is more than likely whats going on. i had the same problem for a while there and figured out that it was the position of the amp and my playing

Comment

Working...
        X