Pickups & Guitar for Soukous?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups & Guitar for Soukous?

What kind of Seymour Duncan pickups should I install to make the "soukous" sound? “Soukous” music is a very guitar-centric style that is the most popular music in Africa. Here’s what it sounds like: (30-sec clip):

They use Strats I think, though there is a picture of one of their greatest stars playing a Steinberger, too.

Also, here’s a picture of their biggest star ("Diblo" is his name - he's very famous in Africa) where you can see his pickup(s):

(not the first picture, but the last one at the bottom of the page)

My questions are:
    1. What kind of Seymour Duncan pickups should I buy to get this sound?
    2. What kind of a guitar is Diblo playing in that bottom picture?
    3. In case I cannot get exactly the same guitar Diblo has, can you tell me what all those controls on his guitar are called? There are a number of knobs and toggle switches: I need to make sure that whatever guitar I buy has those same technical abilities.

Thanks in advance to whoever is the very kind person who will help me pull together the right gear to make the Soukous sound!
    Many thanks,
    Nom
    NYC
    Last edited by Nom; 12-26-2004, 02:51 PM. Reason: add my signature and subscribe - still learning how to do this, too...!
    Thanks for helping an extreme newbie...just beginning to learn about electric guitars...(I've played only acoustics up to now)...Hey you had to learn once, too, right? I am very grateful for your guidance...
Working...
X