Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would like some advice for new pickups

Hey guys,
    I currently play an ESP Horizon NT-II. Neck-thru, mahogony body, maple top, ebony fretboard with a JB/'59 combo. The JB, combined with all the other factors, just comes off as a little too bright for my tastes and gets muddy in the lower ranges. I do like the tone of the JB though, I'm just looking for another pickup that isn't so 'shrill' and can handle the distorted low end a little better. I've looked around here and other forums and seem to like what I see about the SH-5 Duncan Customs. I've also read that ceramics don't have a nice of tone as alnicos such as the JB. I don't want to swtich to the Custom if it'll sound dry--I have another guitar with EMG's for that . Would this be a good pickup in my guitar? Thanks

Re: Would like some advice for new pickups

Originally posted by windsen
    Hey guys,
    I currently play an ESP Horizon NT-II. Neck-thru, mahogony body, maple top, ebony fretboard with a JB/'59 combo. The JB, combined with all the other factors, just comes off as a little too bright for my tastes and gets muddy in the lower ranges. I do like the tone of the JB though, I'm just looking for another pickup that isn't so 'shrill' and can handle the distorted low end a little better. I've looked around here and other forums and seem to like what I see about the SH-5 Duncan Customs. I've also read that ceramics don't have a nice of tone as alnicos such as the JB. I don't want to swtich to the Custom if it'll sound dry--I have another guitar with EMG's for that . Would this be a good pickup in my guitar? Thanks

If you wanted a fuller JB'ish tone I would point you to a Custom 5...this is not the SH-5 Custom, it is the SH-14...it is a Custom with an Alnico 5 magnet...a Custom 5 and a 59 make a killer combo, give that a try and see what happens. Gearjoneser (one of our forum brothers) lives by this combo and Lew (another forum brother) can get you a killer deal on Duncans, BTW...don't forget with Duncans there is a 21 day return policy if the Custom 5 is not to your liking.

good luck, and welcome to the board
    The guy who invented fire
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Welcome to the forum. First, I would try a 250K pot to see if that darkens the JB up enough for you. The 59 is a nice thick sounding pup so you may want to put you 59(n) in the bridge and see how you like the tone. That may be a good choice for you. The custom is a nice pup with punch and good low end tone. I don't think that you'd be disappointed with it.

Comment

windsen,

I just looked at your guitar on the ESP site...I have a Yamaha that is maple neck through body, with mahogany wings and a maple top with an ebony fingerboard...sound familiar? I too have the problem of the bridge being too bright...you have a master volume control and changing it to a 250k will also fatten up your 59, that might not be a good thing...I put a Custom Custom in the bridge of my guitar and it is as fat as ever...I think that the Custom 5 will do the trick and if not you could either swap it for a Custom Custom or do a simple magnet swap and have the Custom Custom...if this seems confusing let us know...lots of people will help you out
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate it. How are the relative outputs of the Custom, Custom 5 and Custom Custom? On the SD tone chart, the Custom Custom looks to have a significantly less output but there is no info for the Custom 5. Thanks again.

Comment

That tone chart is wrong. The custom custom is not that low in output, i dont know for sure but i think its right up there with the custom 5 and custom.
            There is no spoone
            - The Matricks

Comment

The Custom, Custom 5, and Custom Custom are all the same pickup with different magnets, the different magnets change the tone of the pickup...the DC resistance will be about the same on all of them but the Custom will seem to be the loudest, with the Custom 5 right behind it, and the Custom Custom after that...any of the 3 would still match up nicely with a 59 in the neck...the Custom will be the most agressive followed by the C5, and then the CC. The C5 is like a big/bad version of the 59, and IMO that would be your best bet

Comment

I think I've settled on the Custom 5. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                X