which humbuckers on an rg550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which humbuckers on an rg550

alright, i did a search to try to find the answer but i dind't see one that exactly fit what i am looking for so i figured i would ask,

which humbuckers should i get for my rg550 with a floyd rose, i go from hard distortion sounds like hatebreed to pop punk to ska then to like stevie Ray Vaughn. i am probably leaving my single coil middle pickup because it gets the job done for what i need it for but i wanna swap out the bridge and the neck position humbuckers, also needs to have the tap wire so i can set it up the same way as a regular ibanez. Thanks in advance to any help you can give me
    boreddddddddddd

I had one of those, back in the 80's. I used a JB in the Bridge.
    Only The Strong Survive

Comment

I have a JB too in my RG. I play Punk and Hardcore and it sounds very good for me. It's very clear and has nice palm mute sound. Nice distortion sound. Cleans ok too. It's bright and fat. But i like it bright.
      Tabbing seems to work with the JB too but i just use the bridge pos.
      If you get four conducter duncans there is no problem you can wire it as it is. All duncans have this. But if you want the '59 you have to special order one with four conducters.
      Maybe for hatebreed you want something heavier... though if you have a heavy amp it'll work
      Last edited by Marcel; 03-15-2004, 04:56 AM.
      RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
      TS 7 (modded)
      Hot Rod 50+ XL
      Framus Dragon 4x12
      V-AMP II for practice

Comment

thanks alot guys i was thinking about a jb in the bridge so i am glad you guys are thinking of the same thing.

for a stevie Ray Vaughn sound what should i go with in the neck, kinda of weird thing to be playing i guess with an rg but like i said i am all over the place when it comes to playing, i was thinking a jazz humbucker but it doesn't say they have one for a trembucker application, i was looking for a sound like the neck humbucker on a wolfgang it puts off a great blues type tone which is surprising

thanks again
        boreddddddddddd

Comment

A JB is a fine choice in the bridge and I have one in my RG 550.

The Jazz will work great in the neck as will a 59. There are no trembucker spacing issues with neck pickups so don't worry about that. The wider spacing is only called for with bridge pickups in trem loaded guitars.
          www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
          www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
          http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

In the neck goes a normal humbucker not a trembucker. Trembucker is just for the Bridge. I have the JB Model Trembucker and it fits perfect though i had to make the hole in the pickguard a bit wider. But just 1 mm or maybe less. It wasn't hard i did this with a knife.
            I'm thinking of putting a jazz in the neck too.

I'd like to ask you something:
            Which PU has your RG the V1 S1 V2 or V7 S1 V8? Rosewood or Maple fretboard?
            RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
            TS 7 (modded)
            Hot Rod 50+ XL
            Framus Dragon 4x12
            V-AMP II for practice

Comment

I'm not sure which humbuckers are in it right now the guitar is from the early 90's if that helps at all, it has a maple fretboard

the stock ones just seem dead when you listen to them compared to my wolfgang
              Last edited by Chi3f; 03-15-2004, 08:49 AM.
              boreddddddddddd

Comment

for my rg550 i'm currently using a Duncan PATB-2 in the bridge and a Dimarzio Air Norton in the neck.

so far the air norton is giving great thick and smooth soloing tones while the bridge does a great job for rhythm. lots of crunch plus teh PATB-2 is made for axes with floyd rose type bridges.
                1987 Ibanez RG550: Steve Special, SSL-2, Air Norton
                1999 Jackson PS6T-KE: Crazy 8
                Jackson KVX10: X2N
                1997 Epi Les Paul Slash: Virtual PAF, Hum From Hell
                Early 90's Yamaha RGZ621D: JB, Screamin' Demon
                http://fusionken.blogspot.com
                http://project-jeng.blogspot.com

Comment

Re: which humbuckers on an rg550

Originally posted by Chi3f
                  alright, i did a search to try to find the answer but i dind't see one that exactly fit what i am looking for so i figured i would ask,

which humbuckers should i get for my rg550 with a floyd rose, i go from hard distortion sounds like hatebreed to pop punk to ska then to like stevie Ray Vaughn. i am probably leaving my single coil middle pickup because it gets the job done for what i need it for but i wanna swap out the bridge and the neck position humbuckers, also needs to have the tap wire so i can set it up the same way as a regular ibanez. Thanks in advance to any help you can give me
                  custom and a 4 conductor wire 59n

Comment

If you don't need something super high in output, consider the Blues Trembucker. If you can get the gain you need from your amp, it'll cover all of those sounds. It's a medium output pickup with a very even EQ...works very well in Floyd Rose guitars.

Ryan
                    Originally posted by JOLLY
                    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

i am an impatient person... i got a b/c tb-4 jb trembucker and a b/c sh-2n jazz humbucker... i am hoping for the best thanks guys
                      boreddddddddddd

Comment

The 59n sounds awesome in my rg570 that is the same of 550.
                        I have a invader b but I´m gonna change to a JB trembucker that I already have. The guitar is my avatar but it looks really bad I´m gonna work on it,

good luck

Comment

Some good replies here !! I don't think you'd go wrong with either the 59 or Jazz in the neck. They will both compliment the JB.
                          Only The Strong Survive

Comment

yea i am very impressed with how quick i got responses from people that actually seemed to know what they were talking about
                            boreddddddddddd

Comment

alrighty new questions about the swap

pickups haven't come yet because i just ordered them but i am changing the 5 way right now because bridge position is a lil tarded... anyways the humbuckers that are in there are 3 wire not 4 is this gonna make a big difference in how i wire it up? or should i change how it is wired when the new ones get here... again thanks for any help you can give me first time swapping out pickups so i am just trying to do it right the first time so i don't have to mess around
                              boreddddddddddd

Comment

Working...
                              X