Vintage Strat Combo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Strat Combo?

Hi everyone, as some of you may know i have a new Fender American Stratocaster, and now im looking to change the pickups. I like my stock ones are ok for the Little Wing sorta tone, but i need something a little different.

For the bridge, i want something that isnt thin, as my current bridge is, im thinking Lindy Fralin SP 43, or a Texas Hot Custom bridge. I like to use the bridge pickup for my "rocking" and loud chords and solos. Ive heard that the Fralin SP 43 sounds somewhat like a P90, this sounds like something id like.

I like to play rythmy SRV type stuff with the middle pup, and im looking for the Pride and Joy tone on this pickup. I was thinking Ant. Texas Hot, or Surfer.

And for the neck, I want to get glassy cleans, like Buddy Guy or SRVs Little Wing. The only pickup i have thought of for this is a Surfer.

If I were to combine a Lindy Fralin SP 43, a Texas Hot, and a Surfer, would it be a phase mess, how would i get it all in phase, and would these pickups sound good combined together?

Thanks-
    Alex
    There is no spoone
    - The Matricks

Re: Vintage Strat Combo?

Originally posted by Armotron
    Hi everyone, as some of you may know i have a new Fender American Stratocaster, and now im looking to change the pickups. I like my stock ones are ok for the Little Wing sorta tone, but i need something a little different.

For the bridge, i want something that isnt thin, as my current bridge is, im thinking Lindy Fralin SP 43, or a Texas Hot Custom bridge. I like to use the bridge pickup for my "rocking" and loud chords and solos. Ive heard that the Fralin SP 43 sounds somewhat like a P90, this sounds like something id like.

I like to play rythmy SRV type stuff with the middle pup, and im looking for the Pride and Joy tone on this pickup. I was thinking Ant. Texas Hot, or Surfer.

And for the neck, I want to get glassy cleans, like Buddy Guy or SRVs Little Wing. The only pickup i have thought of for this is a Surfer.

If I were to combine a Lindy Fralin SP 43, a Texas Hot, and a Surfer, would it be a phase mess, how would i get it all in phase, and would these pickups sound good combined together?

Thanks-
    Alex

Alex....I Use the SP43 in one of my strats and yes,it's very P90 ish,but it still gets a very nice clean tone and plenty of jangle but is never ice picky in the highs...It rivals a humbucker when you need some good tone with gain and your amp....

You can swap wires on the SP43 to match your middle pickup,but I'd highly recommend the Surfers for both middle and neck positions and either the SP43 or the Twangbanger in the bridge...The bridge Texas Hot "For me" is still a bit bright and borderline on the thinner side of things compared to these other tow pickups....For me,I think it's just this guitar cause the texas hots I have in my American Deluxe strat(My avatar picture) are great and aren't all all thin sounding...I've loved those pickups from the first day I got them into that red strat...

Lew always fixes me right up with all of my Fralin/Duncan needs..

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

OK, thanks alot John! I think i will go with what you said, SP43 bridge, and Surfers Neck and middle. I know i could get belly and somewhat Ice pickey highs from the surfers like Little Wing. But I shouldnt have a problem getting the pronounced quacky tone in Pride and Joy with Surfers should I ???

Thanks-
      Alex
      There is no spoone
      - The Matricks

Comment

Originally posted by Armotron
        OK, thanks alot John! I think i will go with what you said, SP43 bridge, and Surfers Neck and middle. I know i could get belly and somewhat Ice pickey highs from the surfers like Little Wing. But I shouldnt have a problem getting the pronounced quacky tone in Pride and Joy with Surfers should I ???

Thanks-
        Alex
        I've used alot of different pickups in my strats over the years and the Surfers are the best I've ever used for the middle and neck positions...If you want nice vintage A5 tone with a little more of everything,then the Surfers are the ones to get...I find I like the extra chime,and clean note articulation I get from the Surfers....The bridge position is a different story for me,as it has to have more overall lows,a bit more mids,and a stronger overall tone down there...Almost borderlining a humbucker but without the loss of clear notes that some humbuckers give up...The SP43 is perfect for that and then I Like the Twangbanger...

John
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

i think a surfer neck, texas hot middle, and either a twangbanger or 43 would be a killer combo. the texas hot and surfer will need to be rw/rp from each other to be humcancelling, not sure about the 43.
          a pair of surfers in neck and middle will get you a better combined tone

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
            I've used alot of different pickups in my strats over the years and the Surfers are the best I've ever used for the middle and neck positions...If you want nice vintage A5 tone with a little more of everything,then the Surfers are the ones to get...I find I like the extra chime,and clean note articulation I get from the Surfers....The bridge position is a different story for me,as it has to have more overall lows,a bit more mids,and a stronger overall tone down there...Almost borderlining a humbucker but without the loss of clear notes that some humbuckers give up...The SP43 is perfect for that and then I Like the Twangbanger...

John
            I think the SP43 would be perfect then, because im looking for just that, more lows, mids and a louder pickup, while retaining the cleans. And the Surfers sound just right also! Thanks!

Alex
            There is no spoone
            - The Matricks

Comment

sounds like it could be a cool combo........i wasnt all that satisfied mixing the A5 neck with the other A2 pickups, but that could have just been that way through my rig i guess
              http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
              >cord<
              1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

Working...
              X