Tele pups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tele pups

For a mexican tele, maple fingerboard, alder body. I'm leaning towards the aII pro neck, because I want a very smooth warm single coil rhythm sound. I don't want to sacrifice any clarity however, I also want it to be glassy clear. For the bridge, I'm thinking about either a hot lead stack, a vintage lead stack, or a JD (maybe a Five-Two?). I want something that is equally good clean or dirty, with just the right amount of twang, with warmth and versitility for all styles. Any suggestions?
    Originally posted by The Minstrel
    Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

Re: Tele pups

I have a Hot Stack bridge and a Vintage Stack neck pickup in my Tele and they are alot like you describe to want from your Tele.

There are some great choices in the true single coil Tele offerings as well and a JD/APIIn is a tried and true choice.
    www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
    www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

I have a Screamer 50, which is a pretty quiet amp, so at low gain I don't think I'll worry too much about hum. I'm 15, so I don't worry too much about "staying true" to vintage tone. I just want warmth, clarity, and brilliance without any hint of overlybright harshness. I'm leaning towards the APII because the description of the AII mag appeals more to the sound that I want than the AV. For the bridge I want something that can do warm cleans and growly distortion. Things that you liked/didn't like about any of these pups?
      Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

Comment

I'm leaning towards APIIn and Hot Stack bridge at the moment. Anyone else?

Comment

Please?

Comment

i think the aII in the neck will get over powered by the bridge when you use them both. the hot stack and vintage stack seems to be a better match. If you want to go AII you should pick a lower output bridge pickup like the JD or the five two.
            Cleveland Guitars

Comment

Ok, I was worried about that. The JD doesn't hum too much, does it?

Comment

I've said it once and I'll say it again, and I apologize Duncan but the best tele pickups I've ever used is the Rio Grande Muy Grande bridge and tallboy neck. The tallboy is a nice vintage sounding pickup and the muy grande is a beefier single coil. Sounds AMAZING for leads.

Comment

italic zero...
                  The best electric I ever owned was a beaten and heavily modded tele that I put a apII in the bridge and LOVED it. I would highly recommend either that or the JD in the bridge... warm, full, with muscle and twang but no ice picks. Great clean and great through a vintage tube screamer. The apII in the neck would be a nice match. As for hum, shield the guitar well and it isn't too bad plus no hum free pickup I've ever heard really captured the sound of a good single coil. It is just a different sound which you either want or don't want. If you want the single coil tele sound, the hum comes with it.
                  roy
                  royd
                  http://www.soundclick.com/alexisd
                  "once it stops bein' a mystery it stops bein' true"
                  David Mowaljarlai - Ngarinyin Aboriginal Elder

Comment

Cool. I don't mind hum too much anyway.

Looks like AII/JD right now

Comment

AIIP all the way. If you want to get a good idea how it sounds, try out a Fender Lite Ash Tele. They sound fantastic either clean or distorted. I think I understand why Slash uses the AIIP in his Les Pauls now . They are warm and very musical. Don't expect quite the chime or brilliance of the traditional Tele, but you get a great tone for rock or anything remotely distorted. I played blues with them and they really shined, same thing with jazz... just wonderful. As long as you don't need country twang, I think you'll be happy with them
                      Originally posted by kevlar3000
                      I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                      Originally posted by Zerberus
                      Better is often the enemy of good
                      Originally posted by ginormous
                      Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Nope, I'm not a country guy

Comment

Antiquity Tele

great sound!
                          "One other thing... I think it rips through your clothes when it takes you over...."
                          R.J. MacReady, John Carpenter's The Thing

http://www.myspace.com/PegasusActualMusic
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dzNCgX0QW0

http://www.soundclick.com/randymcfarland
                          http://www.soundclick.com/randotones

Comment

Working...
                          X