Unique Strat Wiring Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unique Strat Wiring Question

I want to set up my 5-way switch exactly like a regular Strat EXCEPT I want NO SOUND in position 2 (i.e., eliminate the bridge/middle combo setting). Is there a simple way to do this?

Thanks
    Chris

Re: Unique Strat Wiring Question

Thats going to be a bit tricky. The only thing a 5-way switch does is, connect the terminals of position 1 and 3 at the same time. In other words, there isn't a position "2" to disconnect.

Let me think on this a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
      Thats going to be a bit tricky. The only thing a 5-way switch does is, connect the terminals of position 1 and 3 at the same time. In other words, there isn't a position "2" to disconnect.

Let me think on this a bit.
      Is there a part on the inside of the 5-way switch to kind of bend away so that there is not a connection in that position?

Chris

Comment

If you're very, very careful, you might be able to gently twist the end contact on its pivot rivet, just til it breaks contact in that position. I'ld practice on a "spare" switch.

(In this diagram, the switch is oriented to show position 4 and 5 "bent".
        Be sure to orient your switch to the connection point you desire.)

Compare Switch A to Switch B:

Last edited by ArtieToo; 04-08-2004, 03:22 AM.

Comment

Gotcha. Thank you.

Chris

Comment

Just thinking about this some more. For this to work, you'ld also have to bend the middle contact inward ever-so-slightly, or you'll still have the middle position playing in position two.

Just remember, this may not work, and you may destroy a 5-way while trying. I'm still checking to see if there's a better way to do this.

Comment

I am thinkin in another posibility. There are 5-way swiches for replacement that have 5 separated contacts instead of the 3 ones that the regular fender has. Each of the 5 positions of the selector will conect one of the contacts to the output.

If you wire it in this way you'll get what you want:

1- Bridge
              2- Ground (No sound)
              3- Middle
              4- Sold two cables: one to contact 3 and another to contact 5
              5- Neck

I think you can get one of those in Stewart MacDonald, allparts, warmoth.. ect

I hope it helps...

Comment

mongrollo's idea of using a better switch is much better of an idea than bending contacts, however, the wiring won't be quite as simple as he suggests. If you solder a jumper from 3-4 and from 4-5, you've just shorted all three of these terminals together, which won't work.

The wiring is still a bit tricky, I'm looking at different options now. Unfortunately, I don't have any of these super/mega switches in my possession to view closer.

I'll see what I can up with.

Comment

Thanks guys. I do appreciate it.

Chris

Comment

Yes! you are right ArtieToo. i haven't notice that... It is more complicated that that.

Comment

Working...
                    X