TOOL and SoaD pups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TOOL and SoaD pups

does anyone know exactly what pups Adam Jones of Tool and Daron Malakian of System of a Down use? I think Adam used a covered pup in the neck at one point... during that tour with the crazy enochian magic board.. but I dont know anything else lol
    • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
    • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
    • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
    • G&L Tribute Comanche
    • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
    • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
    • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Re: TOOL and SoaD pups

Adam Jones uses a JB in the bridge. The pickup in the neck is the stock Gibson, but it's been disconnected in most of his guitars, as he doesn't use it and prefers to set the toggle switch up as an on/off.

I believe I read something recently about Daron Malakian using a Pearly Gates in the bridge and (maybe?) a '59 in the neck. Don't quote me, though.
    F#@{ Clapton- Wenger is God!

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie
      Adam Jones uses a JB in the bridge. The pickup in the neck is the stock Gibson, but it's been disconnected in most of his guitars, as he doesn't use it and prefers to set the toggle switch up as an on/off.

I believe I read something recently about Daron Malakian using a Pearly Gates in the bridge and (maybe?) a '59 in the neck. Don't quote me, though.
      I WILL quote you on that...cuz you're right (not sure about the 59 neck though...)!

I'll add that I've heard Adam Jones uses a Jazz in the neck, but I doubt he uses it often.

Comment

I heard that Adam uses a Jazz in the neck (or did at one time?)
        'Without music life would be a mistake'.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Comment

JB for TOOL

and a pearly gates for SoaD

Comment

soad had Gibson pickups in his Jackson RR1. Thats the main guitar he used to record the last CD.

Comment

Originally posted by Metalman_666
              does anyone know exactly what pups Adam Jones of Tool and Daron Malakian of System of a Down use? I think Adam used a covered pup in the neck at one point... during that tour with the crazy enochian magic board.. but I dont know anything else lol
              Daron uses the Pearly Gates and also is known to use stock Gibsons. Adam has used the JB, but apparently most of his Silverbursts now have the Distortion in the bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Seraphial
                I heard that Adam uses a Jazz in the neck (or did at one time?)
                Thats what Toolshed says in the Biographies section.
                Ibanez RG1570: stock
                Squier Strat: stock

Next on the list: an amp that isn't crap!

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul
                  Adam has used the JB, but apparently most of his Silverbursts now have the Distortion in the bridge.
                  Where did you get that info?
                  57 VOS Les Paul Goldtop
                  62 Thin Skin Stratocaster
                  Mesa Boogie Lone Star 212
                  Baby Taylor
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JALIN
                    Where did you get that info?
                    One of the guys on the Les Paul forum apparently knows the tech and found that his current crop of Silverbursts have the Dist.

Comment

These guys are right about the pups (AFAIK)... but keep in mind that both players rely on more than just a certain pickup configuration to achieve their sounds.

Adam Jones has used Gibson Silverburst Les Pauls since ages ago and a lot of people claim that they have a unique tonal chacteristic because of their unusual finish. And don't forget about his amps. He has German-made Diezels that he cranks through Marshall cabs. It would be pretty difficult to emulate his tone completely, as he has one of metal's most unique sounds. Daron uses primarily Ibanez guitars, but while in the studio making Toxicity, he tracked most of the album with Gibson Les Pauls and SGs. A lot of his tone comes from unique playing style.

Good luck with your quest for tone... I'm just pointing out a couple tidbits.
                      It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
                      - David St. Hubbins

Comment

Look at Adam Jones' rig here. What they question as an Ibanez Flanger is actually the Boss BF-3 Flanger if I'm not mistaken.
                        Ibanez RG1570: stock
                        Squier Strat: stock

Next on the list: an amp that isn't crap!

Comment

Originally posted by kill your scene
                          These guys are right about the pups (AFAIK)... but keep in mind that both players rely on more than just a certain pickup configuration to achieve their sounds.

Adam Jones has used Gibson Silverburst Les Pauls since ages ago and a lot of people claim that they have a unique tonal chacteristic because of their unusual finish. And don't forget about his amps. He has German-made Diezels that he cranks through Marshall cabs. It would be pretty difficult to emulate his tone completely, as he has one of metal's most unique sounds. Daron uses primarily Ibanez guitars, but while in the studio making Toxicity, he tracked most of the album with Gibson Les Pauls and SGs. A lot of his tone comes from unique playing style.

Good luck with your quest for tone... I'm just pointing out a couple tidbits.
                          I know the Diezel VH4 will do every tone on Lateralus, but live he uses a three amp setup, consisting of a Recto, a Marshall (Major, I think...) and the VH4.
                          Last edited by mrid; 04-08-2004, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Here is Adams pedal board. I found it a while back. The flanger is actually a Boss BF-2 (white knobs). His Marshall is a Bass series non-master volume. Deizel is on a Mesa cab and Mesa and Marshall head on a Marshall cab.
                            57 VOS Les Paul Goldtop
                            62 Thin Skin Stratocaster
                            Mesa Boogie Lone Star 212
                            Baby Taylor
                            sigpic

Comment

I read that Daron from SOAD uses an Ibanez guitar with Gibson pickups.

Comment

Working...
                              X