Tone curve
    output
    grit, edge
    so on...

Thanks & peace
    joyouswolf on eBay for references.
    Over 1000 all positive feedback.

Re: Pearly Gates vs Burstbucker 3

I'm interested in these pickups also. I've switched from medium output pups to lower output pups for a new band project.
    I'm currently using a Burstbucker 1 in the bridge of a Les Paul and using a Mesa amp and I'm having good results but of course I can't leave well enough alone.
    "Gourmet Tone at a fraction of the price"

Comment

BB#3 is hotter has a better high end and to me just sounded better overall
      I am one of the few that does not like the pearly gates at all
      Excellent deals with,
      Frank falbo,Rockstarnick,SrDeMaFp,Joyouswolf,SFW,gpengui ns
      Jacksontrader,Latsmcgee,IndySG,Ghostmaker,
      slaveunit,atreidesheir,appar111,ex-250,dominus,
      guitarkingdomworks,appar111,ginoames,chickencoop,
      51501984,guitarfreak,notesfield,raybarbeemusic,
      king izzo,Tone scavenger,Heem6,Checo,metalmachine,MetLking

Comment

I've got/had both in multiple guitars. Easily my favourite bridge pickups (along with the PG+).

The #3 usually has very, very slightly more measurable output, though in practise the Pearly Gates tends to actually sound louder because it has a more focused tone while the #3 is a very 'open' and wider tone. The bass and treble on the #3 aren't as well defined as with the PG; conversely, you could say that the PG is too tight and harsh compared to the #3, at least for the kind of blues and classic rock tones they are intended for. I find the #3 gets muddier quicker on the wound strings and/or lower tunings, while the PG gets incredibly harsh quickly with the plain strings and aggressive picking. When playing with lots of valve distortion, the PG is the more responsive and well-rounded pickup, while playing with a 100% clean, sparkly solid state tone the #3 has a lot more chime to it, almost like mixing a humbucker with a P-90.

If I had to pick just one bridge pickup to use for the rest of my life in all my guitars, I would choose the Burstbucker #3. However, the Pearly Gates is a really good alternative for guitars or playing styles where a little more definition is required. Really depends on the guitar, amp and player in question.

Comment

To me they cover a lot of the same ground, but the BB3 seems less shrill in the high end.
          Get the un potted aftermarket BB-3 if you get one.

Comment

I really like the Pearly Gates, but prefer the BB3. It's pretty much as bright, but smoother top end, thicker, and just overall more classy oomph. The Pearly Gates has nice high mids and can sometimes be spiky in the top end, but I wouldn't say it's ever "harsh." The BB3 is warmer in the midrange and has more overall mid/low mids. The Pearly Gates has an excellent low end and in some cases can be slightly boomy, but never too much. It has a great classic feel and good output. The BB3 seems to handle gain better, but it MIGHT be more widely considered that the Pearly Gates yields a bit better clean tone because of it's slightly scooped midrange and top end sparkle.

Comment

Can you get a BB3 in zebra, chaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Mpcoluv View Post
                Get the un potted aftermarket BB-3 if you get one.
                The Burstbucker #3 is always unpotted. Only the Burstbucker Pro is potted.

Originally posted by werdna View Post
                Can you get a BB3 in zebra, chaps?
                Yes. Zebra, black, nickel and gold.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Flibble View Post
                  The Burstbucker #3 is always unpotted. Only the Burstbucker Pro is potted.
                  The BBs installed by Gibson are potted, or are supposed to be; you hear occasional reports of someone buying a Historic with unpotted pups, but it's rare. Only the BB1/2/3 sold aftermarket are supposed to be unpotted. I have a BB3 out of a Trad Pro and it's potted.

Comment

Bizarre. I've had four production Gibsons, two Custom Shop Gibsons and one Epiphone that all came with Burstbucker #1/#2/#3 pickups and all of them have been unpotted, while I've had one Gibson - and my friend has another - with Burstbucker Pros and those were potted.

Comment

Early BBs in the Historics were unpotted, but several years ago they got tired of feedback complaints & started potting all the installed versions. Perhaps the ones you had came from before they started this.

Comment

Doubt it, one is less than a year old.

Comment

Thanks for all the info PEPS.
                          Peace
                          joyouswolf on eBay for references.
                          Over 1000 all positive feedback.

Comment

how would you guys compare the BB3 to the classic 57 bridge?

Comment

I can never remember this stuff because I love the PG. But as I recall, it seems to me the BB2 is the most similar to a PG.

I do like the BB 1/2
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X