Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncans in Parker Fly...

Hello,

Though I have been reading this forum for a while, I finally decided to register and post a ? due to the fact I haven't seen much info on the subject. I am curious, if anyone has replaced pickups in a Fly Classic (whether is be rewinding stock pups, or custom order from Parker w/SDs - or even the Ed Roman mod) I am looking for a good rock/metal pickup. I am thinking Custom for the bridge and Full Shred for the neck. I have been playing for too long now (more than a decade), and have had JBs, Full Shreds, and HM Live Wires. Loved the Live Wires and the Full Shreds - JBs are just not full enough for my taste, but I am staying strickly passive for the custom Parker (just more articulate at different volumes and amp settings) I know that the Fly Mojo comes with a JB in the bridge - played it and liked my older stock pups better (Tone Zone design) Is the Custom a happy compromise between a Tone Zone (lots of lows and mids) and the JB with its transparent but full low end and high mids/high end. I would like the a bit more high end but keeping the mids and lows - so I assume a Custom would do well (I have never had a Custom, hence the questions). Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Re: Seymour Duncans in Parker Fly...

I was looking at pups for Parkers a while ago (was strongly considering purchasing one). Unfortunately, there isn't much I think you can do. You can send in your guitar to Ed Roman to put in his SDs, but I'm not sure they'd be any better than your stock Dimarzio ones.

I really disliked the pups in the Mojo myself and from the looks of it, you disliked it as well. In that case, since there hasn't been much info released on Duncan "Blackbacks" (aka what Ed would be putting in your guitar), I wouldn't go that route.

You might want to try SD's custom shop to see if they can rewire your pups to meet your tone description. That's probably the safest bet. I'd hate to point you in a direction that might not give you what you're looking for.

This was why I never ended up buying a Parker. I wish the higher end models came with normal sized pickups and could be easily replaceable. The design of the instrument and playability is definitely to die for though

Good luck
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Thanks, for the info - I had called SD's Custom shop a few weeks ago. Yes, they suggest sending in the stock pups to rewind/change magnets, etc. They can build a direct replacement, but MJ stated that it would very expensive. I assume retooloing the chassis fabrication machines would be the cost. I am just curious if anyone has done it, or heard SD Customs or other models other than the JB in a Fly. I had been in contact with another guy on the same quest. I came up the idea of buying the stock pups that Ed Roman removed for $35 and sending them in to SD for rewinding. No down time and you still have the stocks (they do sound very good IMO), I am just looking for a little more top end and less mid. The stock pups, are mounted by running two allen screw pole pieces straight through to the body (very cool). I don't like the idea of the Roman mod after reading a bit about it )they seem to be Custom Customs and are not adjustable after the mod). Dimarzio has several models that are drop in replacements for the Fly, so I ordered a PAF Pro and Humbucker From Hell for the bridge and neck respectively from their custom shop with black pole pieces for $100 a pup. I will save the SDs for the custom order to Parker for another Fly in black Korina - getting ball park figures on price as I type. If anything, I hope this thread will help others who have Parkers that would like different pups. The Fly is the only guitar that can compete with my old USA Hamer Chaparrel Elite from '90/'91 (ex-wife destroyed it) in playability, sound, and overall feel - and they don't make them anymore nor can they make them like they used since they were bought out awhile back by Kamen. I called their custom shop and asked (they aren't that happy about it either). Parkers really are amazing guitars, the options are there for pups - just took a little more work and research.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Comment

Contact MJ again. My brother in law had the custom shop make him a couple of pups for his Fly Deluxe (Alnico 2 & ...ah, I forgot the other one). Using the designs they already have and making a set that will fit the axe. Also, define "expensive."
        Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
        https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
        Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Working...
        X