What pickups does Gary Hoey use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What pickups does Gary Hoey use?

I know he's a longtime SD affiliate and is known for using double fat strats... which Duncans does he have in there?

I'm asking cuz I really liked his tone on his solo spots in "Welcome to the Machine" off a Pink Floyd Tribute album. He's always got good tone but that particular spot really got to me. I remember a magazine saying that he used stock Big Apple Strats, which had a '59n and a PG+ bridge. This tone sounded a little bit fatter than what those pickups are capable of.

anyone got any info?

Re: What pickups does Gary Hoey use?

He did use stock Big Apple Strats. He and once talked about the great sound he got out of that guitar.

But we've also sent him JBs and '59n's over the years as well.
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp
      He did use stock Big Apple Strats. He and once talked about the great sound he got out of that guitar.

But we've also sent him JBs and '59n's over the years as well.

Thats what I thought...BTW, Evan you can start sending me JB's and 59's too!!! Or even better some PG's and a few Seths!
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I think Gary Hoey also uses (or used) a Rocktron Vooduvalve, this might also have some effect (sic) on the tone he gets, but I have no idea what power amps were involved.

Comment

He endorses Cyber Twins, but I have a feeling that his SLO100 was responsible for that tone, too. Soldanos are known for that howling, middy, vocal sound...

Comment

Gary Hoey got me into Hamers. When I saw the picture of him with his Studio on the inside jacket of Animal Instinct, I knew I had to have one of those. Of course, 5 Hamers later and I still don't have a Studio.
            Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

in the hamer chaparral he used back in the day it was loaded with hotrail/hotrail/JB
              Wayne Rock-legend #143 Jazz/JB
              Suhr OD-50
              Suhr 4x12" Vintage 30's

"Bradshaw" Moded Crybaby, Majik Box Rocket Fuel

Comment

I love Gary Hoey & was pleased to read that his main axe was a Big Apple Strat when I got mine.

I didn't care for the '59n when split though & swapped it for a PG...voila!!! "Peace Pipe" sounds great!!!

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys!

I'm planning on buying a Jazz/JB set and direct-mounting it in my MIA FR strat soon. I won't have the soldano but my boogie gets close haha!

Comment

Working...
                  X