Tone bypass switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tone bypass switch?

as i'm drawing step by step nearer to my new axe (which is either going to be a Jackson DX10D or a Jackson DKMG the more i'm considering my options as to what i want to do with the wireing.

i'm leaving a 3 way switch in it, but since both have 3 knobs (one is for an active mid boost/preamp), i'm thinking of taking that out and installing a switch, since i want both pups to have a separate volume knob which is push/pull so i can split them, thus one knob goes away. can i wire an on-off switch that works as a tone knob that is fully open or fully closed? as thats pretty much all that i have use for it if so, i'd like to have a few pointers. the DX10D has an on/off switch already that switches on the active circuit and i figure i could use that one as a seriel/paralel switch aditionally to the tone switch.

whatcha think guys?

Re: Tone bypass switch?

i really should tun on my brain more often...

lets see if i got this right.

normal mini 3way switch
    on one side there is the wire soldered directly to the thing, on the other side the same wire is soldered to a 500k resistor. so, the switch one activates one circuit at a time. quistion about this is, how would it work when the switch is in the middle? i dont think it would do as a pot turned to 50%

need to invest some more thought into this and put it on paper =P

*edit*
    hmm.. the tone pot is actullay bleeding the trebble off by use of a capacitor to the ground.

this sounds a little more complicated than i first thought

*edit2*
    ok.. now i only need a bit of comfirmation, if this would work like this or not

Schematic

basically this would work as a no load tone pot right?
    Last edited by Davey; 12-31-2004, 11:17 AM.

Comment

bumpage for the wireing gurus

Comment

Hey Davey; Basically, you are correct. Just be aware of a couple things. Use this diagram as a reference:

Fig 1. is what you have, which will switch between having no tone control and a tone control thats on "0".

Fig 2. will switch between a tone control on "10", and a tone control on "0".

You might be more satisfied with Fig 2., but thats all a matter of preference. Having no tone control may make the pickup too bright.

The other thing is, with the volume controls wired as you have them, when both pups are selected, either volume control will effect both pups. If you put one volume on "0", both pups will be dead.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
          Hey Davey; Basically, you are correct. Just be aware of a couple things. Use this diagram as a reference:

Fig 1. is what you have, which will switch between having no tone control and a tone control thats on "0".

Fig 2. will switch between a tone control on "10", and a tone control on "0".

You might be more satisfied with Fig 2., but thats all a matter of preference. Having no tone control may make the pickup too bright.
          fig1 would be the same as having a no load pot right? or something to that effect. i'll see how i like it when i install everything, i can add the resistor afterwards, it's really no work at all.

The other thing is, with the volume controls wired as you have them, when both pups are selected, either volume control will effect both pups. If you put one volume on "0", both pups will be dead.
          explain further.. this is the schematic i pulled off the duncan site, just added the neck split and the tone switch. thanx for the insight. =)

Comment

Look at this diagram:

Look at the second volume control. If you turn it down to zero, you've shorted the two terminals connected by blue together. Which means you've shorted that volume control to ground. Now follow the red line. It goes from the hot of the output jack all the way to ground. It won't matter what you do with the other volume control - the output is shorted to ground. (As in "off".)

Look at the first volume control. Normally, when you use two volume controls on a guitar, you would reverse terminals "A" and "B", on both controls. This is how most dual-volume guitars are done. Its just something you have to live with when using two volume controls.

btw - your first question is correct. Fig 1. simulates a "no-load" tone control.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
              Look at this diagram:

Look at the second volume control. If you turn it down to zero, you've shorted the two terminals connected by blue together. Which means you've shorted that volume control to ground. Now follow the red line. It goes from the hot of the output jack all the way to ground. It won't matter what you do with the other volume control - the output is shorted to ground. (As in "off".)

Look at the first volume control. Normally, when you use two volume controls on a guitar, you would reverse terminals "A" and "B", on both controls. This is how most dual-volume guitars are done. Its just something you have to live with when using two volume controls.

btw - your first question is correct. Fig 1. simulates a "no-load" tone control.
              ah, i understand ya.. i really didnt pay attention to that as i pulled it directly off of the duncan schematic site and modified it a little bit, so you should tell them guys that they got a little flaw in the schem =) i'll keep that in mind when i do the wireing

well, the only diference between reversing and not reversing terminals is that once you short the wire from the pup itself and on the other hand the wire from the switch.. which shouldnt make any diference other than on paper.. or does it affect other things too?

Comment

Working...
              X