Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy New Years!!!!!

Happy New Years!!!!!

Started this thread so any one could recap what they've learned this year…I've got a list for sure. Looking forward to this!

L
    Me and Neal's stage rig.

Re: Happy New Years!!!!!

Alright...I'll start off.

Hybriding taught me that each coil retains its voice in a series wound (standard humbucker) configuration. School taught me to anticipate an amalgamation (series is additive on the sine wave so this pickup would just be its own thing but contraire, I can hear both pickups' voices.
    Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

I measured 3 EVH pickups this year 8.4, 8.6, and 9.4k. They were ordered at the same time and were not special ordered. Readings were in the guitar all single volume/tone 500k pots...how bout that!
      Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

I cant really point out anyone thing that ive learnt in this year but i do feel that i have really matured and developed as a guitarist and as a human being i feel that this new year coming is going to be one of happiness and fufilment for me. Ive also discovered that even though i consider myself a modern player i find that the sound of older amps completely cranked in the poweramp and really pushed with medium to high output pickups is my sound.

Edit: Ive also discovered the value of finding inspiration and ideas from music that isnt guitar based i think that that has helped me recently in finding my own style on the guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Dodger
          I cant really point out anyone thing that ive learnt in this year but i do feel that i have really matured and developed as a guitarist and as a human being i feel that this new year coming is going to be one of happiness and fufilment for me. Ive also discovered that even though i consider myself a modern player i find that the sound of older amps completely cranked in the poweramp and really pushed with medium to high output pickups is my sound.

Edit: Ive also discovered the value of finding inspiration and ideas from music that isnt guitar based i think that that has helped me recently in finding my own style on the guitar.
          Amen brother (every detail of what you said)…I never thought my lead amp would be a 100 watter (rectifier tubes make it clip like a 50) but there's no substitute for volume = tone!!!
          Last edited by Lightning; 01-02-2005, 05:29 AM.
          Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

I don't trust myself working on my guitars when drinking, I don't like to type normally but some how the forum is a safe place to be when I'm in that state.

I think I'm a nice enough person, even inebriated but for some reason I attack Evan when I get that way.

I can't figure it out...but it is possibly one of three things...a) SD makes high quality pickups at prices below the cost of boutique or DIY pickups...why can't Evan get off the recipes?...it's not like anyone can compete at the SD price structure -OR- b) Evan stole my job? -OR- c) SD hasn't made my magic pickup yet?

(threads theme...things I learned in 2004)
            Last edited by Lightning; 01-02-2005, 06:24 AM.
            Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

Bridge Pickups First

#42 types: Haven't gotten to dig my pick into my friends 3 EVH pickups but as far as balanced coil arrangements 9.5k is as high as I want to go.

#43 types: As far as balanced coil arrangements 13k is as high as I want to go.

#44 types: As far as balanced coil arrangements my 17.6k is as high as I want to go...it's a little to creamy but I like it better than a 14k #43.

Hey, you custom type owners please don't be offended by that statement, I use beefy neck PUs and that effects the amp eq which effects the bridge pickup tone...in fact...I'm clueless but 2005 will be filled with imbalanced and hybrid coil arrangements!
              Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

All I know is, I have a MASSIVE hangover.
                Scottish, born and bred.

Comment

I know I learned this in 2003 but I cant thank Lew enough for turning me on to the 50s mod. It gave me the tone control back and got rid of the high pass I'd been using for 20 something years.
                  Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

Jon,

I don't feel comfortable with that "I feel ya" saying but I didn't feel recuperated till 10 PM last night and have since polished off a half a litter of ****le as a chaser to Crown shots and I'm still rolling!!!!!
                    Last edited by Lightning; 01-02-2005, 07:01 AM.
                    Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

I swear I'm to drunk to be doing this but I'd like to thank Kent for the Nighthawk position 3 wiring (closest to an acoustic sound you'll ever get from an electric), teaching me that coils left dangling in a circuit are not antennas as long as they are grounded, neck/bridge series wiring is obtainable with a DPDT switch and how to use a mic during recording.
                      Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

I swear I'm to drunk to be doing this but I'd like to thank Artie for the one or the other coil/series switch. With all the hours I spent in suspension study hall I never came up with that one…I think that goes back to the antenna thing. Oh, and that cheese pickup you sold me...Okay it measured 11.2 so what was it? #42? #43? Dude it was a #44 and is part of a hybrid with a #43 coil measuring in at 8k. I call it the Nasty Dog. The JB, DD, and Invader are tame in comparison. Dude, enjoyed your post over the past year.
                        Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

When your pissed you really do speak what you feel its ok to be a bit drunk lightning. For new years eve i went to utopia with some mates which is a rave party near circular quey in sydney harbour. That night has cemented in my mind that i want to be a performing muscician. I only had 2 beers though i woulda had more if possible since im actually underage no drugs though they were offered to me but i can tell you when it came to gettin into the groove of those techno beats and just going wild i loved it so much all this energy came through me from somewhere i couldnt understand and i felt like i was really expressing myself. This party started at 6pm and i got home at 6pm and i couldnt get to sleep i was so full of energy i realized more then that i want to rock out and write music and peform it cause once i start going im a man on fire.

Im going to nirimba college which is a music tafe bout 40 minutes from where i live and i got accepted in as first preference which i was really happy about. I cant wait to start going there in febuary cause i know what i want to do and im gonna persue it beyond normal human abilities. Ur a good man lightning have a good 2005 i know i will.

Comment

And what about this cat Tweed,

I'd been going along with people that wanted to believe that Duane had 2 sunburst Les Pauls cause I didn't want to offend anyone but I had the skinny and thought they were clueless (I thought the guitar tone that was causing the confusion was a 335) turned me on to a pic of Duane hovering over both of them...whoa! Man Dude!!! Tweed you da Man...have not PMed you back cause I feel Like I should plan a trip to hang out with ya...to you I say 7027...No, not drunk enough to screw that one up, babe, ain't no 7025...I said it right the first time!
                            Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

Ok now im lost. Foo fighters rock!

Comment

Working...
                              X