• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dimarzio PAF classic

I may just get another '59.
    Peavey Wolfgang(USA) EBMM pickups
    Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) evh set
    Sterling AX40 stock (Fender Wolfgang bridge/AN neck)
    Epiphone LP Special w/JB
    Rouge P Bass SD Quarter Pounders
    Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
    1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/EVH Greenback
    Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

Originally posted by mongrollo
      In my opinion 59's are less brighter than Paf classics. The Paf classic it is a kind of alnicoII humbucker with all the charateristics anlicoII humbucker have.
      On paper, that statement makes no sense.

An alnico 2 "voiced" PAF configuration like the PAF Classic is going to sound warmer and less bright than an Alnico 5-equipped Duncan '59.

That's the whole point of their "air" configuration.....to soften the tone increase string vibration without using Alnico 2 magnets.

What I've personally been curious about, is exactly what is the difference between the Air Classic and the Virtual PAF, tone-wise.

I see that they're both '59s with the Airbucker design, but what exactly is the "3 dimensional" quality that DiMarzio speaks of? The natural hollow tone of old PAFs?

Comment

Originally posted by Majestic
        What I've personally been curious about, is exactly what is the difference between the Air Classic and the Virtual PAF, tone-wise.
        I called Dimarzio for the same question. The guy answered that they are basically the same execept that Virtual PAF has slight more mid.

I tried PAF classics and 59's in my LP. I felt that LP is hotter and brighter. PAF classic sounded more melo and smoother.

Cheers
        "Tone is in the cheese." -LSP

"whoever says angus young is overrated is a complete idiot." -flank

Comment

Originally posted by Reckless Abandon
          So you say the dimarzios will please me?
          I worry if they are too bright
          Soo Sorry!! I've made a mistake!! 59' ARE BRIGHTER THAN PAF CLASSICS. The rest it is correct.

Yes, they absolutely will please you. I have them installed in a Guild S-100 (SG shaped body) and they are absolutely great. They have all the clarity and warm I allways expected from a vitage pickup. I also had a 59/JB set in that guitar, they were great for what you expect in that set to do. But if you want a vintage type of tone PAF Classics are a great way to go.

Comment

Working...
          X