New pup for ESP LTD Lynch guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New pup for ESP LTD Lynch guitar

I got an ESP LTD GL600SS guitar last year and I'm not crazy about the Screamin' Demon. I want something with a little more output and gain. I've tried the Duncan Tone Wizard, but there's no option for maple as a body wood. I have a Les Paul standard (1982) with a JB in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck. I'm leaning toward a Distortion, but I read a review of the Custom 5 (I think it was a 5) stating that it was a great pickup. Any recommendations for a pickup for a maple body guitar?

Thanks,
    Mark

Re: New pup for ESP LTD Lynch guitar

I'm also not very fond of the screamin demon.... I suggest the JB or distortion.
    Rock On
    ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
    2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
    Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

Comment

Originally posted by LP82
      I got an ESP LTD GL600SS guitar last year and I'm not crazy about the Screamin' Demon. I want something with a little more output and gain. I've tried the Duncan Tone Wizard, but there's no option for maple as a body wood. I have a Les Paul standard (1982) with a JB in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck. I'm leaning toward a Distortion, but I read a review of the Custom 5 (I think it was a 5) stating that it was a great pickup. Any recommendations for a pickup for a maple body guitar?

Thanks,
      Mark

what is it you don't like about the Demon?
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

the demon to my ears sounds like a killer pup. it works for lynch and TO and their tones are

Comment

I would like to know what you don't fancy in the Demon as well. I've always loved that pup.
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Well, after thinking about it for a few days, I've come to realize that I think I'm just USED to the tone of the JB. I've been playing for 27 years, and for the better part of the '80's and early '90's I used a Jazz/JB combo in my Les Pauls (3 standards, 1 custom),a Jackson Rhoads, a Flying V, an Explorer, and a JB in 3 different Hamers I had (Chapparal w/FR, Firebird w/FR, Tele style w/FR). I've tried a Distortion (too much gain, not enough tone for me. I need something that will clean up good when I back off the volume), a Custom (not enough gain), a Pearly Gates, and a Demon in the early '90's in my Chapparal. Nothing sounded as good as a JB in anything. The Chapparal was solid mahogany/set-neck, so was the Firebird Hamer. The Tele-style was Mahogany/maple-top. My amps were a Carvin 100 watt head with a Tubescreamer, Wah, Chorus, Flanger, compressor-sustainer, a rack mount DSP unit, and a BBE Sonic Maximizer for effects units. In the '90's I used (still have it) a 5150 with a chorus, BBE, DD-3, NS-2, and wah. All this through 2 Randall 412's with 70-watt Celestion speakers. The JB just worked well with our style (classic rock/hard rock, metal) and we were a three-piece for most of our heyday. It just seems to me that the JB has more punch, better harmonics, and just sounds better in mahogany and mahogany/maple guitars. I think part of it is that I really never got used to bolt-on necks (the LTD is bolt-on), or the tone of woods other than mahogany/maple. I've always had set-necks or neck-thru's and I'm more comfortable playing Pauls anyway. I'm just used to the sound of a Paul. I love Lynch's tone but he has more (and better!) processing capability than I do, and better amps, lol. I may try a JB Trembucker in the LTD. If I don't like it, I may sell the guitar and stick to Pauls, lol. I hope that explains it. Keep rockin'!

Comment

I just bought the Screamin Demon to replace an Invader in the bridge and i get wait to get my guitar back and jam!!! The Invader was definately high output but lacked in tone alot! I`ll take tone over output anyday and i`m a metalhead,actually metaled! *lol*

Comment

Working...
              X