Question about the Tone wiz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about the Tone wiz?

I've tried to use the ToneWizard on this site, but I've got a few questions about the results.
    I've got a Schecter C1+ with a mahogany-body. I want a high-output, plenty of distortion PU at the bridge and something cleaner in the neck. I've been reading lots about the different characteristiscs of the different PU:s and decided that the Distortion would suit me well. But, when entering Mahogany in the wiz, the suggestions is Custom5, CustomCustom or JB...?
    What is it about the Distortion that would make it not go well with mahogany when playing metal?

Also, I never hear anything about people using the combination Distortion/Jazz in the B/N position? How come? I'd think, from what I've read, these have the tone I'd probably like...
    Rek Custom Guitar (Duncan Full Shred set)
    Peavey Vandenberg Ed.2 (Tom Anderson HN3, DiMarzio Chopper)
    Peavey Vandenberg Custom Quilt Top (Stock pickups)

Re: Question about the Tone wiz?

distortion/jazz? jerry horton from papa roach has that combo in a signature schecter

hope this helps,

tom

Comment

The distortion would work in your guitar...
      and I've heard of a couple other famous players useing distortion/jazz if I could remember their names I would tell you, but can't, oh well...
      I think either dave mustaine or randy rhoads had at least one guitar with that set up...
      Rock On
      ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
      2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
      Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

Comment

Randy Rhoads had a DD/Jazz in his Jackson. Granted, it was not mahogany. I've got a DD in a couple of mahogany guitars and believe me, it sounds awesome.
        Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

Thanks guys! It really helps...
          I've also been thinking about the JB in the bridge but seems like some people think they're too bright sounding which I wouldn't like.
          I think I'm able to pull off some screaming harmonics as well as heavy rhytm with the DD, right?

It seems like I'm thinking right anyway, even if the ToneWizard don't want me to put a DD in my mahogany-guitar...?

Comment

distortion/jazz? jerry horton from papa roach has that combo in a signature schecter
            Oh, haha, should have seen that since I've been looking at different Schecter guitars for a while...
            That one is also a mahogany-body so I guess it can't sound too bad, or Schecter wouldn't have used that combination?

Comment

Distortion/Jazz is a great set-up, I would personally prefer JB/Jazz...
              As for the Tone Wizard, I think a little more work would make it a lot more useful.... There are a lot of pick-ups that the wizards reccomdendations somewhat leave out...
              I would suggest adding more options in the music style selection
              Rock On

Comment

Originally posted by Kac
                Distortion/Jazz is a great set-up, I would personally prefer JB/Jazz...
                As for the Tone Wizard, I think a little more work would make it a lot more useful.... There are a lot of pick-ups that the wizards reccomdendations somewhat leave out...
                I would suggest adding more options in the music style selection
                Rock On
                Why would you prefer JB?

Comment

To me it's a little more versitile than the Distortion. Don't get me wrong the distortion rocks and I love that pick-up, but the JB is my favorite pick-up and I've always prefered it's sound
                  Rock On

Comment

ztevie,
                    ive got the c1+ too and what you may not know is that the stock pups on it are duncan designed hb103's ( modled after the distortion) so putting a distortion in there would probably sound more clear and the tone would feel more genuine than with the stock pups. I just got a jb in my les paul and its not bright at all, however it could be in a c1+. you could put a jazz in the neck with a distortion or a pearly gates, soon im replacing the pups on my c1+ too so let me know what sounds good on it when you finally do it.

good luck

Comment

Originally posted by gtg10k
                      ztevie,
                      ive got the c1+ too and what you may not know is that the stock pups on it are duncan designed hb103's ( modled after the distortion) so putting a distortion in there would probably sound more clear and the tone would feel more genuine than with the stock pups. I just got a jb in my les paul and its not bright at all, however it could be in a c1+. you could put a jazz in the neck with a distortion or a pearly gates, soon im replacing the pups on my c1+ too so let me know what sounds good on it when you finally do it.

good luck
                      Yes, I know it's equipped with duncan designs. I'm not very pleased with them. Well, they're OK but not for playing metal/hard rock stuff. I'd like a little more bite and punch in the bridge...
                      Maybe JB wouldn't be that bright after all? Is the JB higher output?

Another question: When I change the pickups, do I need to think of anything else, like changing pots or anything? Or will I get away with just soldering the new ones on there and still get the maximum out of the PU's?

Comment

nope, anything set up for duncan designed should be fine for the real deal

the only thing is, the real duncans might come with 4-conductor wiring. if you wanted, you could fit coil taps for the option of cleaner sounds.. thats another can of worms though hehe

tom

Comment

****, I'm going insane! the more I read on this forum the more I hesitate of what I wanna get...

Now I'm even considering EMG's... 81b/60n could be a pretty good combination from what I've read?

Has anyone here ever put EMG's in a Schecter C1 plus??? I'm thinking about how much work I'll have to pu into it? I don't care if it take smany hours, but I won't start carving pieces out of the guitar to fit stuff in there...

Geez... I can't decide. But OK, it's a pretty big buy so it's not supposed to be easy I guess...

Comment

I had the JB/Jazz combo in the Schecter and it was a great set up for metal.....the JB can really scream thru the right amp. Real versatile and warm but can level a building as well.
                            PRS McCarty Korina loaded w/Godwoods
                            PRS Custom 22 loaded w/Dragon IIs
                            GJ2 Shredder loaded w/Habaneros
                            Rivera Knucklehead 55 Reverb/Blackstar HT-1/VHT Special Ultra 6
                            Avatar 2X12 loaded with V30 & G12H30
                            various pedals

Comment

I put a C5/Jazz (coil splits via push/pull tone pot) in my C1+ and they sound absolutely amazing. Can you maybe name some bands that have tones you're shooting for?

After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

Working...
                              X