Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's FLO

Originally posted by Lightning
    Twilight, To the sustainer issue…okay…cool…DC resistance and wire gauge? Also it is labeled KONX…what does that mean? Not trying to put you on the spot…just a tone quest.
    I think that Vai labels his guitars according to sound, so he knows which ones to use for which tunes. I don't know much abotu KONX, but he does use that one a lot for sustainer work, I have noticed.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

the KONX sticker is on EVO on the neck spot.. i HOPED to see him before the G3 gig in june '04, but the folks i was with thought getting there EARLY is silly, so i couldnt ask him about the KONX thingy

Comment

KONX is just what the neck pickup on EVO is labeled.

After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Davey
          the KONX sticker is on EVO on the neck spot.. i HOPED to see him before the G3 gig in june '04, but the folks i was with thought getting there EARLY is silly, so i couldnt ask him about the KONX thingy

Ya beat me to it

Comment

I also thought this was interesting, this is the back of EVO. Is that a tremsetter I see....

Comment

And the explanation for "KONX", from Vai's site:

"The reason why the tape is on the pickup is because sometimes Steve hits the strings so hard the high E string would have a tendency to get stuck under the pick up. Hey, a little spit and glue can go a long way. The word “KONX” is an ancient alchemist mantra word that is believed to have originated with Aleister Crowley. It’s meant to be used in various incantations that are supposed to invoke disembodied entities from the abyss to materialize into the physical.

Please don’t try that at home..."

Comment

Originally posted by FretFire
                And the explanation for "KONX", from Vai's site:

"The reason why the tape is on the pickup is because sometimes Steve hits the strings so hard the high E string would have a tendency to get stuck under the pick up. Hey, a little spit and glue can go a long way. The word ?KONX? is an ancient alchemist mantra word that is believed to have originated with Aleister Crowley. It?s meant to be used in various incantations that are supposed to invoke disembodied entities from the abyss to materialize into the physical.

Please don?t try that at home..."

umm.. string stuck under the pup? with the pups lower than the pickguard?

thx for the explanation.. but it'd be cooler to hear it from the man himself

Comment

Originally posted by ColonPowell
                  Hey I have no problem with posting while drinking however just because Vai doesn't have Duane's tone is no reason to bash him.

Here's a thought: instead of chasing Duane's tone, find your own voice!
                  Colon Powell,

I can tell you're good people by your offering of insight. I think maybe typed words lack infection (there were some places I should put some LOLs) and as I reread my post I can see that Vai laid passé for my disapproval of the way digital handles upper the harmonics of distortion.

I don't really want Vai to quit using digital...I want digital to get better. I will go back and put LOLs that last post.

As far as my voice...I 'm not sure if I understand. Duane had his own style yet I can just about take you phrase by phrase to where he got it. He was a big listener and a studio guitar player at a young age. He could emulate many guitar players styles but as he matured (round the age of 19) these styles became an amalgamation we would later refer to as Duane's style.

Vai charted out some Zappa tunes obviously making him a Zappa freak. He mailed his notes to Zappa. Zappa was impressed, contacted Vai, took him on the road and hence the beginning of Vai's career.

When I listen to Vai I hear a lot of Zappa in his compositions and Duane in his solos.

I have my own style yet I can take you phrase by phrase to where I got it.

I think we all are thieves of phrase but in the end it is the amalgamation and the way we vibrate that leads to having our own voice.

If you told me you wanted to buy a blue car I couldn't tell you should make your own color.

Is tone different from color?

CP, your thoughtfulness is appreciated!
                  Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

Good Pics!!!!!
                    Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

Originally posted by Davey
                      umm.. string stuck under the pup? with the pups lower than the pickguard?

thx for the explanation.. but it'd be cooler to hear it from the man himself

That IS from Vai's website....

Comment

Here's a link to a very informative little look at EVO, head to toe, from the site. It's where I pulled all the pics and info for my previous posts from.

Comment

Working...
                        X