Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternative to the JB

classic rockers attention please:
    I still have not decided on the bridge of my new Les Paul style guitar. I have a aph-1 neck and was think very thoroughly about the PGb. but everytime I re-think it, I get back to the point that -when soloing- the JB in one of my other guitars has so far smoke every pup Ive tried. It gives me a real nice clear & harmonic distortion/OD sound. but I sure do want a different pup in this guitar now.
    post your experiences please, let me know what you think about that.

Re: alternative to the JB

Originally posted by Cri-Su
    classic rockers attention please:
    I still have not decided on the bridge of my new Les Paul style guitar. I have a aph-1 neck and was think very thoroughly about the PGb. but everytime I re-think it, I get back to the point that -when soloing- the JB in one of my other guitars has so far smoke every pup Ive tried. It gives me a real nice clear & harmonic distortion/OD sound. but I sure do want a different pup in this guitar now.
    post your experiences please, let me know what you think about that.

The PGb is an amazing pickup and would work nicely with an APH-1...you could also try a CC if you really wanted that guitar to kick ass. I love my PG's but with an APH-1, a CC is a match made in tone heaven!
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Ahh, I didnt really get what u meant.
      You love the pup but u want a different one now?

My experience with the JB was great.
      It was beautiful, I had to learn to tame the highs however. Lots of output. G R E A T...
      I loved it, Almost as much as I love my Wolfie stock pups now...
      I love SD's, however these wolfie pups are rockin!

Comment

+1 to what TGWIF said ... either a CC, a PGb, or even a matched AIIPb would sound great

if you want to take it into a bit of a 'smokier' classic rock tone in the bridge, maybe a '59b

it just dawned on me that not everyone has the same thing in mind when they say 'classic' rock .. kinda like how the oldies station has started playing MY favorite music for some strange reason

cheers
        t4d
        gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Try the Rio Grande BBQ....
          Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

My Dean Hardtail came with the Pearly Gates in the neck and the JB in the bridge. Keep in mind that I LOVED the JB in my Gibson SG and Schecter C1+..but it just wasn't quite working in the Hardtail. I ended up going with the Custom Custom and am extremely happy with. Very full sounding pup that can cover alot of ground...it's extremely versatile with alot of warmth yet punch.
            PRS McCarty Korina loaded w/Godwoods
            PRS Custom 22 loaded w/Dragon IIs
            GJ2 Shredder loaded w/Habaneros
            Rivera Knucklehead 55 Reverb/Blackstar HT-1/VHT Special Ultra 6
            Avatar 2X12 loaded with V30 & G12H30
            various pedals

Comment

Originally posted by Grandor
              Ahh, I didnt really get what u meant.
              You love the pup but u want a different one now?
              kind of awkward, huh.. well, I want a different sound on the new guitar, that is all.
              never thought about the custom custom... appearently it must be kinda cool, as I have heard it from different sides now. isnt the Pearly Gates very fuzzy sounding?

Comment

I'm really happy with the APH-1n/PGb combination. They make a great contrast with each other tonaly, and the PGb gives just enough boost for lead. Everyone who hears the combo tends to like it.

Brett
                Hamer XT Sunburst Archtop Flame- Phat Cats; Hamer Sunburst Archtop Quilted- Jazz(n)/Pearly Gates(b); Brian Moore i21 - Alnico 2 Pro(n)/Pearly Gates(b); Tex Mex Strat - Classic Stack(n)/Lil' 59(b); Carvin DC135T - used oval HotRails(n)/CustomCustom(b); '68 Gibson ES-335 - Jazz(b); RI Fender Bass VI (bari-electric Hot Rails bridge?); Standard Tele-Ash(SE)pickups?

Comment

Working...
                X