Phat Cats -vs- PRS P90's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phat Cats -vs- PRS P90's?

There have got to be some answers to this on here...and Scott will probably be one of the people with the answers.

How do the Phat Cat pup's differ from the one PRS has SD make for the P-90 equiped guitars? I mean how close are they really?

I know Scott had a set custom wound...was that to get them closer to that tone? How much did the custom ones cost ya Scott?

Re: Phat Cats -vs- PRS P90's?

The Phat Cats are reportedly very simular to the SD P-90s in tone. I'll bump this up for a second run by the guys that have tried them.
    www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
    www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Thanks for the initial bump up Rob!

Anyone got anything to say about the difference?

Comment

I believe the set PRS uses is a vintage neck in the neck spot, and a custom neck in the bridge spot...no, that's not a typo, they use a neck model in the bridge. The Custom uses a ceramic magnet, while the vintage model is alnico 5. I think the Phat Cats are alnico 2 pickups, so you can probably expect them to be a little warmer, with an overall looser feel to them.

Ryan
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

What Ryan said (nice job, Bro).

I have a set in my Ibanez RG that I gigged with last weekend. Let me go on the record and say publically, Phat Cats are WONDERFUL sounding pickups.
          Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
          Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

So if I wanted to get a pair of Phat Cats made to the same specs of the PRS P-90's...how much would a custom pair set me back?

Comment

I just had a Phat Cat neck pickup put into one of my Teles, and it sounds great. I have played one PRS McCarty Soapbar, but that is obviously a very different guitar than a Tele, and I played it through different amps. Nevertheless, without A/Bing them directly, I would say that the Phat Cat neck pup prowls in the same territory as the SD P90 neck pup in the PRS. I could see where other differences between any 2 guitars might be greater than any differences between the Phat Cats and P90s, at least aside from magnet differences (A2 vs. A5).

Comment

im assuming that it would be around $280 or so for a pair. i think thats what they were going for before they were production pups

Comment

Not knowing a lot about pup construction and such....but would it be easy enough to swap out the magnets in the Phat Cats to get a custom set made without going through the custom shop?

Comment

It would still be a Custom Shop order I'm afraid. You might get a slightly better price now, though, since it would simply be a magnet swap. When I put these into my McCarty, I got the short legged version.

And I did what y'all are talking about... I have a RWRP vintage neck P90 (Phatcat) in the neck and a ceramic neck p90 in the bridge (PC).

Here's the rationale. The ceramic tends to be hotter than an A5. So, if you normally wind a bridge version to be a bit hotter than a neck version, it makes sense.

Take an a5 in the neck and take the less hot ceramic version and slap it into the bridge.

It's a GREAT combo in my PRS BLE. I wanted the same tone as my old McSoapy, but I wanted that limited edition brazillian series (which was not offered with P90's), so this was the best choice.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

I am still in favor of the Z90 pups instead of either Phat Cats or prs P90's.

Better tone over a larger volume range.

(ie Balls)
                      Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
                      When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
                      Red Devils - 1% all the way!
                      Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
                      Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

Working...
                      X