banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Duncan has the biggest/thickest tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which Duncan has the biggest/thickest tone?

i have tried the bbq and it is thick, but kinda muddy and grainy (and not a good grainy). like a tone zone with a thicker mid range and less top end and clarity. as far the the thickest duncan id say probably a patb-2

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy
      i have tried the bbq and it is thick, but kinda muddy and grainy (and not a good grainy). like a tone zone with a thicker mid range and less top end and clarity. as far the the thickest duncan id say probably a patb-2
      What's a PATB-2? I really love the BBQ, but wish I could find the equivalent Duncan just as thick and same output!

Comment

the patb 2 is the parallel axis distortion model. big and thick with loads of output

Comment

Invader.....no question
          '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

I say the Invader too. Have one in the bridge of a Ibanez RG and with a RAT 2 it´s almost overwhelmingly fat...but with the ceramic magnets the word "warm" is perhaps is not describing the tone of it? More "fat & agressive"?

Comment

I really want to try the JB or CC in my LP. Right now I have the C-5 and I feel like I still want more deep lows like with the BBQ in my Dean Evo Premium. Maybe it really is that guitar, because the Dean is very dark and deep sounding. My LP is more out front, brighter and lively, while still sounding deep. I just need to find the right pickup to balance. I feel at the moment with the C-5 in my LP.......I'd like a meaner toner, more aggressive, thicker, maybe a tad more bass. Not more output!

I find the JB lacking in deep bass to really fill out the tone. For our style of aggressive 90's rock meets modern hard rock/metal, I need an aggressive tone with more meat and low end. I know the guitar is a midrange instrument but I notice a big difference in the depth of my tone when a p'up has in your face bass.

I think the Distortion would be too high output and I am trying to avoid ceramic magnets. So far, the best tone I've gotten is from the BBQ. Super thick and warm. It just sounds so aggerssive with so much attitude.

I'd like to find that in a Duncan. I have tried the Zone Zone but like the BBQ much more.

Maybe I really should give the Air Zone a whirl.

Comment

bump, if you don't mind.

Comment

INvader probably.......
                  Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

I think it is important to always mention I am running through a Line 6 Vetta II head and cab because it makes a huge difference over tubes. I ifnd I need extra bass and mids wit ha digital amp to add thickness and sizzle. I think this is why I like the BBQ so much with my rig and not the C-5.

This is also why it has been highly recommended I try the Custom and/or the Dimarzio Air Zone.

Comment

patb2

Comment

Just stick that BBQ in that LP already. You know what you are after (BBQ), you know what is good (BBQ), now get it over with. Stick that puppy in there and report back.
                        57 VOS Les Paul Goldtop
                        62 Thin Skin Stratocaster
                        Mesa Boogie Lone Star 212
                        Baby Taylor
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy
                          Jeremy, does the patb 2 have as thick and warm a tone as the BBQ? IO only see the regular distortion on the Duncan site. How is the bass? It souns like you liked the TZ? Have you tried the Air Zone?

I really appreciate the advice.....I guess I need to knoe if the patb 2 is asthick as the BBQ, has as good a clean and is not too high output compared to those others like the TZ, etc...

Nice thib about the BBQ is that it is 12.5k but does seem much hotter and thicker than my C-5.

I am assuming a trembucker is not spaced for a Les Paul??

I will say that I feel my Line 6 Vetta head prefers a pickup with serious punch and thickness.
                          Last edited by papersoul; 04-11-2004, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Invader. It sounds just like what you're looking for.

Comment

I only I could find something as big and thick as the BBQ but with a tad more clarity! Is there a Duncan equivalent? It seems the Invader and PATB2 would be too hot.

Comment

Try the Custom5!

Comment

Working...
                                X