Magnet Swapping QandA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnet Swapping QandA

I've heard talk of swapping this magnet for that. This magnet does that and this magnet doesn't do the other. Here are a few questions from the curious:

1. How involved is a magnet swap?
    2. How do you do it? Do you have to "unwind" and "rewind" the coils?
    3. Where do you get these magnets?
    4. Can the "complete idiot" do a magnet swap? If you can wire your own pups, can you do a magnet swap?

Just curious.

-Matt
    Originally posted by Scott_F
    On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Re: Magnet Swapping QandA

It should be virtually idiot proof provided you can follow simple instructions and take your time. I've not tried the whole thing, but I'm going to. Go here to learn....it will tell you all grasshopper.

Magnet Swap
    My Sound Clips

Comment

to do a magnet swap you need to loosen the bottom plate, peel back the tape, push the magnet out, the push the new one in, re-wrap the tape, and tighten the bottom plate back up

thats the skinny. there is no messing with the coils. as to where to get magnets, there is a supplier out there but i cant remember what they are, maybe some one can post a link if they know.

Comment

A2 should be warm and chimy, low output,very sweet.

A3 should be similar but a bit brighter with a bit more bass

A5 should have more output and bass, and will be fatter sounding.

Did I win?
        Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
        Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
        Originally posted by Sosomething
        "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

The only thing that I find difficult is getting the magnet out (maybe because I've been trying to pull, rather than push?). Needle-nose pliers can take forever on some pickups. I recomend a pair of surgical tongs (I got mine at Radio shack for afew bucks).
          This machine kills fascists

Comment

Oh my God, what kind of Pandora's box have you opened up for me?? I was all nice and happy before I even knew about all these different kinds of pickups. Now you tell me I can mix and match coils with different magnets? I'll never get back to playin' with the the possible tweakin' that's available.

Thanks guys. I think even a "complete idiot" such as I could do this.

One last question. Are there different sized magnets. Like, the Duncan Distortion discription says it has a "massive ceramic magnet." Where do you get "massive" magnets?
            On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

Matt -

I hope you didn't think that I was calling you an idiot. I was just trying to refer to the fact that I think it's less intimidating than it appears. Idiot proof may not have been the best phrase. Sorry if I implied that.
              My Sound Clips

Comment

Magnet swapping is very easy as the guys have said. Don't even think about rewinding, or you'll be buying a new pup real soon
                "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H
                  Matt -

I hope you didn't think that I was calling you an idiot. I was just trying to refer to the fact that I think it's less intimidating than it appears. Idiot proof may not have been the best phrase. Sorry if I implied that.

No no no no no no no no no no

I didn't take it that way. I was referring to my initial post where I asked if a "complete idiot" could do it. Just some self-degrading humor is all. In my original post I was making a play on words regarding books like "Volkswagens for the Complete Idiot," etc. and the "Guitars for Dummies" books and that sort of thing. I should've made a "3rd person check" of my post to make sure I didn't include any inside humor that only I could understand.

No offense taken. I know that you'd probably be one of the LAST people who would ever intend to offend anyone. Rock on, bro!

By the way, I was a "complete idiot" about pickups before discovering this place.

Thanks

-Matt

Comment

Working...
                  X