7 String pickups...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 String pickups...

I recently picked up a Jackson DR7 7 string. What i was curious about was whether the 7 string verisons of the various pickups sounded like their 6 string counter parts? I have heard rumours that they dont... Any one have any experience with this? Also looking for some reccomendations not just in the SD line but anywhere else. I've used lots of 6 string pickups just this is my frist 7 sting. I'm going for more of a Fear Factory style sound. Something with tight bottom end, I like pickups that are clear but not bright. The rhythm tone is more important than the lead tone. My amp right now is a Mesa/Boogie MkIV. any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Re: 7 String pickups...

the 7 string counter parts have some of the characteristics of the 6 string model but to keep the tone balanced over the extended range it is a little different.
    the jb 7 is a cool pup that might work for ya

Comment

Christian (current FF guitarist) uses an EMG 81-7. Dino used the EMG 707, which was developed specifically for him. According to him, it's a combo of the 81 & 85. Most people say it sounds closer to the 85.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

The only reason I shyed away from the EMG's was that I had to route the guitar to put them in. I wasnt in a big hurry to do that.
        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Understandable. I think it's rediculous that they used the housing for a bass pickup for the 7 string. In any case, for FF stuff, the JB or Distortion would probably work well. I just got a six string Custom, and I bet the 7 string version would be a good pick, as well.
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Now what is the EMG 81-7? Is it also in the bass pickup housing? I've played the 6 string JB and didnt like the highs in it. I've been debating over either the Custom or the Disortion. I've used the custom before (not with this amp and in a mahogony guitar instead of basswood) And I liked what I got with it. How would the custom compare to the distortion?

Comment

Working...
            X