Which Bridge Humbucker for my Ibanez PF-200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Bridge Humbucker for my Ibanez PF-200

I'm looking for a humbucker that will sound full and sweet in the bridge position of my Ibanez PF-200. It's a LP style guitar that is a bit lighter than a LP and is hollowed out behind and around parts of the bridge. I had a Duncun Custom which sounded good overdriven but very thin when played clean.

I'm looking for a pup with Alnico mags that will match up with the neck pup (currently a Dimarzio PAF but that might change later on). I need the volume outputs to be close and I'm looking for a somewhat vintage tone.

The pups I'm looking at are the:
    Alnico pro (APH-1 pro)
    Duncan Custom Custom
    Custom 5

Could someone fill me in on what might be the best choice for my guitar and maybe a bit of information comparing these pups. Other suggestions welcome.

Thanks
    Mojostrat

Re: Which Bridge Humbucker for my Ibanez PF-200

welcome to the forum!!

the aph is lower output than the other two that you mentioned but will have the best clean tone, warm clean bucker tone with a little extra bottom. a cc would be another good choice, less bottom with lots more mids and more output with a smooth top. the c5 is a great pup. more bottom than the cc with less mids and a clearer top, a nice clean tone but not as sweet and warm as the aph

Comment

Thanks for the welcome. I haven't been here in a long time and really like all the upgrades that have been done to the site.

Judging from your descriptions it sounds like the APH-1 pro would be a good choice since I don't really play with tons of distortion. I usually play classic rock and blues (ABB, Eagles, Dead, Tull, etc). It's confusing to a newbie when it comes to outputs of pups. My dimarzio PAF which is in the neck is only rated at around 8K but it's pretty loud and full sounding. I like it but it matched up against the custom I had in there and was even a bit louder than it. Would the APH-1 pro bridge be a good choice for the match?

BTW, I put in a super 70 and the difference in volume between that and the PAF neck was huge. Could you also maybe give me an idea of how the Dimarzio stacks up against something like a 59 or APH-1 pro neck. biased opinions between brands withstanding of course.

thanks
      mojo
      Last edited by mojostrat; 01-05-2005, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Bump!.

Anyone have any more info?
        thanks
        mojo

Comment

The Dimarzio PAF is pretty good, but as far as PAF style pickups go, the Duncan Seth Lover model, Pearly Gates, and 59 are better.

Way better.

In a semi hollow like yours a set of Seth's would work out very well. The cleans would be great and the distortions would be meaty but with good bite.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Thanks. I'll keep the seths in mind.

Mojo

Comment

Working...
            X