• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring diagram question: auto-split and rwrp

Hi i am new

Pretty soon i will wiring my new strat, a Warmoth

and i have two questions.

If i use that diagram http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=1h_2s_1v_2t_5w_as

for an HSS: 1h 2s 1v 2t 5way auto-split, four conductors and a middle rw/rp

Does that diagram supposed a rw/rp single-coil (middle) ?, and if yes, which active humbucker's coil will splitting, the screw or the slug?

You know all of that, it's to hum-cancellation in position 2 and 4 obviously!

Dear you
    John

Re: Wiring diagram question: auto-split and rwrp

I had a magnetic polarity problem when I replaced two of my three pickups in my HSS Telecaster.

With the new bridge and mid pickups installed the magnetic polarity is: NS...S...S

Most bridge humbuckers cut the outside coil (bridge side, screw pole, South Polarity) and make the inside coil active when split. Normally you want the inside (slug) humbucker coil active when split so it will sense more string movement.

My new Seymour Duncan Invader bridge humbucker doesn't work that way. When wired for series/split/parallel using SD diagrams it uses the outside (bridge screw) coil when split which is North polarity. It is paired with a Seymour Duncan SSL-7 RW/RP which is South Polarity. I do get hum canceling when the split humbucker is paired with the mid pickup.

The problem is the magnetic polarity of the mid pickup is wrong for my factory neck Tele pickup. Seymour Duncan uses opposite magnetic polarity compared to modern Fender pickups. With the switch in the 4 position (neck and mid pickups) both pickups have South polarity, so no hum canceling.

I would recommend you verify the magnetic polarity of your new pickups with your pickup maker's tech support before you order to make sure you get the required electrical and magnetic phase for hum canceling in the 2 and 4 switch position (when the bridge and mid are selected and when the mid and neck are selected).

If I had known the magnetic polarity of my new bridge and mid pickups would give me NS...S...S polarity I would have put a normal, non-RW/RP mid pickup in and used the humbucker's neck side coil so I would have ended up with NS...N...S

I solved my magnetic polarity problem by simply replacing the factory neck pickup with an Area T stacked humbucker.
    Last edited by robrob2; 01-11-2013, 11:04 AM.

Comment

ok thanks for your advices Robrob2

So before i wiring an HSS auto-split mod installation with a Pearly-Gate(trem) a APS2 RW/RP(mid) and a SSL-2(neck)

I need to know, if anybodies of you can confirm to me,

the magnetic polarity's pickups will be: SN...S...N if i use just SD's pickups above named

Secondly, cause i'm a beginner concerning wiring diagram,it is true, if i suppose on that diagram:

It's the inside (slug)(North) humbucker's coil which is activated for splitting, Or I'm wrong and it's the outside screw(South) coil

Cause i want hum-cancellation in position 2 and 4 obviously, and I expect this confirmation from You,

before ordering to Warmoth a APS2 RW/RP (middle)

Thank you in advance

Click image for larger version

Name:	HSS-AutoSplit.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	5764290

Comment

I would never try to assemble this from specs. Only way to go is try it out.

Comment

I need to know, if anybodies of you can confirm to me,

the magnetic polarity's pickups will be: SN...S...N if i use just SD's pickups above named
          They SHOULD be this polarity, but I'd call SD and confirm before ordering.

Secondly, cause i'm a beginner concerning wiring diagram,it is true, if i suppose on that diagram:

It's the inside (slug)(North) humbucker's coil which is activated for splitting, Or I'm wrong and it's the outside screw(South) coil
          Yes, the norm is "the inside (slug)(North) humbucker's coil which is activated for splitting," but like I said my SD Invader had the outside (North) coil that is active when split. So call SD and confirm. Actually I wouldn't trust the SD tech support, I recommend you buy a $9 magnetic polarity tester from StewMac to verify what the polarities really are BEFORE you start to solder.
          Last edited by robrob2; 01-11-2013, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X