New user, new guitarist, help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New user, new guitarist, help!

Well, I been playign for oh... 6-8 months now... And since I have the money, I am totally redoing my guitar. New pickups and hardware. I need some help though.
    Looking for a pickup, what do I need to look at? What do the terms mean (output? dc resistance?). What do you recomend for a metal/hard rock guitarist? Also, I know about the hardware I am getting... I know that, but what else 'inside the guitar' do I need? What are pots? What is the difference in changing them.

Also... For your reference, my guitar is an ESP Ltd EC-50, titanium. It will be a birght lime green (with green flake), everything else on it will be chromed. Tuner keys... knobs... everything, chrome.

Sorry if I'm bouncing around too much in the post, all help is wanted!!!
    Gear:
    Johnson Strat (white with custom sharpie job)
    ESP Ltd EC-50 - Silver
    Line 6 112 Spider - 50 watt

Re: New user, new guitarist, help!

Is there any particular tone you're going for? For instance, Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, In Flames, etc...
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

HI...i am currently doing the same thing, i'm building a guitar too, pots are pretty much volume and treble controls, well the knobs go on top......you will need a pickup selector switch, and chord jack.....in my honest opinion, go get a set of EMG's(81-85). you got an explorer, and those pickups just go with it, and they sound like a million dollers, for hard rock/metal, and clean, keep my posted on how it comes out.

Comment

Wow... I don;t know really. Metallica is good i'd say... I like... Boy this is hard. I like basically metal... not real heavy... I also play some punk and hardish rock. I can't pick a band though.
        Gear:
        ESP Ltd EC-50 - Silver

Comment

Originally posted by gianniboy
          HI...i am currently doing the same thing, i'm building a guitar too, pots are pretty much volume and treble controls, well the knobs go on top......you will need a pickup selector switch, and chord jack.....in my honest opinion, go get a set of EMG's(81-85). you got an explorer, and those pickups just go with it, and they sound like a million dollers, for hard rock/metal, and clean, keep my posted on how it comes out.
          1) I don't want active pickups... that's for sure... I know that much.

2) I don't have an explorer, the esp ec-50 is a LP style guitar.
          Gear:
          ESP Ltd EC-50 - Silver

Comment

ohhh sorry....p.s....everything you will need comes with the EMG pickups...(all the electronics), pots, wires..ect.
            but they are active, some people dont like active, i do, the rock. but they will be your best choice 100%.

Comment

ohhh sorry....p.s....everything you will need comes with the EMG pickups...(all the electronics), pots, wires..ect.
              but they are active, some people dont like active, i do, the rock. but they will be your best choice 100%.
              I actually was looking at those as far as actives. But... if you could, give me some details on actives, what do you cut into?... what does the end product of your guitar look like?... What makes an active better than a ... whats the word?
              Gear:
              ESP Ltd EC-50 - Silver

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarsean
                1) I don't want active pickups... that's for sure... I know that much.

2) I don't have an explorer, the esp ec-50 is a LP style guitar.

ohhh sorry, i got ex mixed up with ec....also go to your local music store and listen to emg's...i'm not a huge fan of them, but with your guitar they would be a good choice.

Comment

I actually was looking at those as far as actives. But... if you could, give me some details on actives, what do you cut into?... what does the end product of your guitar look like?... What makes an active better than a ... whats the word?
                  there are active and passive pickups, active use a 9 volt battery, passive dont use a battery, also you do not have to cut anything, the pickups just go into the old ones place

Comment

Oh, I was sure that you had to make more room or something, so the dimeision are basically the same? And what, mechanically is the difference in the pickups?
                    How often do you have to change batteries? My friend hates buying batteries all the time so he installed a kill switch so at the end of a song, if turned off the batteries.
                    Gear:
                    ESP Ltd EC-50 - Silver

Comment

Oh, I was sure that you had to make more room or something, so the dimeision are basically the same? And what, mechanically is the difference in the pickups?
                      How often do you have to change batteries? My friend hates buying batteries all the time so he installed a kill switch so at the end of a song, if turned off the batteries.
                      the emg website says twice a year,or 3000 hours, i got a set, i put them in febuary of last year and they are still good with that battery, just make sure you unplug yor guitar when your not playing orelse they will drain faster.

Comment

the emg website says twice a year,or 3000 hours, i got a set, i put them in febuary of last year and they are still good with that battery, just make sure you unplug yor guitar when your not playing orelse they will drain faster.
                        emg"s and duncans are the same size, they are direct replacements of stock pickups, in the back of your guitar you will notice a cover plate, that covers all the electronics, you just have to stuff a battery in there, no cutting required.....i hope i am a help to you?

Comment

emg"s and duncans are the same size, they are direct replacements of stock pickups, in the back of your guitar you will notice a cover plate, that covers all the electronics, you just have to stuff a battery in there, no cutting required.....i hope i am a help to you?
                          Ya, your helping... Few more things, do I need to get 'conductor cables'? New pots? and if so... whats the difference between 500kpot and 250kpot? What other electronics do I need besides the pickups them selves for a active and passive basically?
                          Gear:
                          ESP Ltd EC-50 - Silver

Comment

500k- for humbuckers
                            250k- for single coils

thats basically all i really know, or have heard.
                            There is no spoone
                            - The Matricks

Comment

Any more help? Please refer to the first post to see what I am asking.
                              Gear:
                              ESP Ltd EC-50 - Silver

Comment

Working...
                              X