banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maple/Mahogany and Single coils? AlnicoII?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maple/Mahogany and Single coils? AlnicoII?

Hi,

new to this forum. Need some opinions about pickups vs Tonewood

Am putting together a Warmoth LPS or VIP 3/4" Maple on top of Mahogany.

Probably Mahogany neck with Pau Ferro Fretboard. Bolt-on

Planning on H-S-S pickups Bridge to neck (NEck and Middle RW/RP)

Play mostly Grateful Dead, Funk, Some Blues thru a Mesa/Boogie IIC+
    Like Vintage Sounds, but need that Garcia/Hendrix Neck Single coil sound most of all. Already have a Strat. Need this guitar to cover alot of ground

Can any one comment on Single Coils on basically a Les Paul body.

Thank You for any help you can give

Dan Walsh
    Last edited by danipman; 01-06-2005, 09:15 AM.

Re: Maple/Mahogany and Single coils? AlnicoII?

I really like Alnico 5 single coils for vintage blues/hendrix sorta stuff. Alnico 2s are good, but lack the quack and highs I hear in the vintage blues tones. If it were me id put SSL-1s or Ant. Surfers in there, but theres nothing wrong with Aps's.
    There is no spoone
    - The Matricks

Comment

Re: Maple/Mahogany and Single coils? AlnicoII?

Ok for the hendrix and well hell everything u just mentioned i would use two woodstock kinman single coil's for your neck and mid(no hum, actually sound like real single coils, and sound better then fralins in my oppinion, and would make a intresting match with your wood disicision) and for the bridge i'd go with the pearly gates.
      Gear: Carvin CT6 flame top(alnico 2 pro,JB), Strat scappoled fretboard(59,CC), Morgan monroe ovation knock-off, yamaha nylon acoustic,Boss super overdrive with TS-808 "silver" analogman mod, Boss DS-1 with keeley mod, Vox wah with true bypass mod, Fender Super Reverb 65.

Originally Posted by Jeff_H
      The APH is like slipping into a tub of warm honey spashed with the silky essence of virgins.

Comment

Working...
      X