Duncan MAGNETIC PU POLARITY ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan MAGNETIC PU POLARITY ???

Does anyone can confirm the Standard magnetic pu polarity at Seymour Duncan for:

single coil neck (North or South)???

single coil rw/rp middle (North or South)???

humbucker bridge (SN or NS)???

These are 3 easy questions to immediate answers,please!

Re: Duncan MAGNETIC PU POLARITY ???

Comment

Come on guys,

It is possible to have an answer?

What are the SD's standards, concerning the magnetic polarity of single coil (N or S) and middle rw/rp coil (N or S)?

I can not find this information in nowhere for now. I'ved read a lots, lots of treats ( all in contradiction) and SD website.

However I can not find, it's a basic question It seems !

Comment

Most single coils are usually South up and the RWRP would be North up.

The exception would be the Antiquity Texas Hots which are North up and the RWRP is South up. The magnets are North up because Seymour wanted to replicate the sounds of single coils from the 50's. Fender started out making pickups with magnets that are North up but then switched to South up in the 60's
        Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Anybody want to confirm that "Most single coils are usually South up and the RWRP would be North up" ?!

Comment

Hey John, good morning.

Regular neck: South

RW/RP: North

Humbucker is kind of both. Our regular coil splitting diagrams split the humbucker to NORTH, so they can either change it so that it splits to South or put the rw/rp pickup in the neck.

Comment

Hey Scott!

A real nice answer,Thanks

So finally I will be ordering my :

-Pearly Gates Trembucker Bridge (TB-PG1)
              -Alnico II Pro for Strat Flat RWRP middle (APS-2 RW/RP)
              -Vintage for Strat Flat (SSL-2) neck

HSS Auto-split mod and i'm gonna split the outer south(screw) coil. C'est réglé, Merci!

Comment

My Seymour Duncan SSL-7 Quarter Pound RW/RP is South polarity which conflicted with the Fender Tele South neck single coil for mid + neck hum canceling.

The mag polarity on my HSS Tele ended up being: NS...S...S (Invader humbucker...SSL-7 RW/RP...Factory Tele)
                Yes, the Invader humbucker is "upside down" with the "Seymour Duncan" logo right side up.

Every time there's a magnetic polarity question we find there are exceptions to the SD "standard."

If you follow SD's wiring diagrams for a humbucker with a coil split switch the North (normally inside) coil will be active when split. If the standard for RW/RP pickups is North then it wouldn't pair correctly with a split humbucker (North + North). Since my SSL-7 RW/RP is South polarity it pairs correctly with my bridge Invader humbucker when split (North + South).

john T., test your new pickups to confirm their polarity before you install them. You can do this before opening the pickup's package. If it is incorrect you can send the pickup to SD to reverse the polarity. I had this done for a DiMarzio Area T stacked humbucker to correct the magnetic phase of my HSS Tele.

SD, please publish the polarity of all your pickups.
                Last edited by robrob2; 01-17-2013, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Hey robrob2

I wrote to "Customer Service via e-mail" 3 or 4 times , since 1 month and never, any feedback!

What I'm gonna do it's buying my 3 pu and use my compass to test each polarity's pu

After that, I'm gonna split the appropriats Humbucker's coil (Ouside or Inner)

For now it seems, according to the lasts reply and..
                  that link I found last night:http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/th...ker-internals/ where contained confirms the lastest reply about ""SD polarity's standard ""

By then i can expect that specs:
                  -Pearly Gates Trembucker Bridge (TB-PG1) SN
                  -Alnico II Pro for Strat Flat RWRP middle (APS-2 RW/RP) North
                  -Vintage for Strat Flat (SSL-2) neck South

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Olson View Post
                    Hey John, good morning.

Regular neck: South

RW/RP: North

Humbucker is kind of both. Our regular coil splitting diagrams split the humbucker to NORTH, so they can either change it so that it splits to South or put the rw/rp pickup in the neck.
                    Well things are a bit more complicated because the Ant2 for Strat are north up while the Ant1 are south up, unless you get the rwrp of course. The Tele Ants seem to be all over the place.

In humbuckers slug coils are north up and screw coils are south up, unless you get some Peter Green thing.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                      Well things are a bit more complicated because the Ant2 for Strat are north up while the Ant1 are south up, unless you get the rwrp of course. The Tele Ants seem to be all over the place.

In humbuckers slug coils are north up and screw coils are south up, unless you get some Peter Green thing.
                      Peter Green's LP didn't have any magnet flips IIRC. One of the pickups was wired out of phase (which gives a pretty cool snappy middle position tone FYI).
                      Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                      Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                      Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
                        Peter Green's LP didn't have any magnet flips IIRC. One of the pickups was wired out of phase (which gives a pretty cool snappy middle position tone FYI).
                        Hmmm, dunno about the original but IIRC most PG clone sets have a flipped magnet.

Comment

Yea and that's why i prefered a confirmation for 3 pu below before i'm buying them, and if I am refering to @robrob2 polarity's experiences!

-Pearly Gates Trembucker Bridge (TB-PG1)
                          -Alnico II Pro for Strat Flat RWRP middle (APS-2 RW/RP)
                          -Vintage for Strat Flat (SSL-2)

How many polarity's exceptions, like the Antiquities or Blackouts?!

I do not know what to think, i'm a newer! But i learn i am curious, and i'm not sure it's clear subject for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by john T. View Post
                            What I'm gonna do it's buying my 3 pu and use my compass to test each polarity's pu
                            geez. then what was all the impatient toe-tapping about, demanding that people jump to your whim?

Comment

A single coil pickup has TWO polarities: magnetic polarity and electrical polarity.

For example, the rod magnets of the Antiquity Texas neck are charged to have a North polarity on the top end and a South polarity on the bottom.

The direction which the wire is wound gives the coil it's electrical polarity. The coils of the Antiquity Texas neck are wound to give a North polarity.

A RWRP pickup has a reversed winding direction (electrical polarity) and a reversed magnetic polarity in association with another pickup.

The RWRP Texas Special middle has a South electrical polarity (winding direction) and the magnets are charged with a South polarity on the top end and are North on the bottom

When matching single coils and humbuckers you need to know the electrical polarity of each coil of the humbucker(s) and also know the electric and magnetic polarity of the single coil(s).

You can reverse the electrical polarity of a single coil simply by swapping the hot and ground leads... the magnetic polarity is fixed because of the rod magnets.
                              Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Working...
                              X