Duncan MAGNETIC PU POLARITY ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Duncan MAGNETIC PU POLARITY ???

A single coil pickup has TWO polarities: magnetic polarity and electrical polarity.
    You're thinking of phase. There is electrical phase (direction of current travel through the coil--clockwise or counter-clockwise NOT North & South) and magnetic phase which is what we're discussing in this thread.

Most RW/RP pickups are wound in the standard direction but the color of the coil wire leads are reversed so that when you wire it according to the manufacturer's standard wiring diagram you get the correct, reverse electrical phase. It's the direction of current flow that determines electrical phase, not the direction of winding.

The OP understands the electrical and magnetic phase requirements for hum canceling, he just wants confirmation of the pickups' magnetic polarity so he won't go through the mess I went through with mismatched magnetic polarity.
    Last edited by robrob2; 01-17-2013, 07:11 PM.

Comment

By then i can expect that specs:
      -Pearly Gates Trembucker Bridge (TB-PG1) SN
      -Alnico II Pro for Strat Flat RWRP middle (APS-2 RW/RP) North
      -Vintage for Strat Flat (SSL-2) neck South
      John, with this setup you'll have the bridge humbucker's outside (bridge side) South coil active when split to pair with the North mid pickup. It is preferable to have the inside (neck side) active because it will sense more string movement. You can spin the entire humbucker around (with no effect on mag or electrical polarity) to put the South coil on the inside but if the pickup has a logo it will be upside down. I ended up with this situation with my Invader humbucker but I chose to leave the logo correct and live with the outside active coil.

Comment

Folks, especially for the OP, I'll say it again. Solve all such problems with one of these:

Unless you enjoy the drama and angst of waiting for answers in threads like these, you really will wonder how you ever got along without one. (And no, I do not work for or have any affiliation with Stewmac or Shatten.)
        Generic signature line.

Comment

Rayne at MHD pickups told me Duncan buckers are screws north, and his are screws south.
          I want more me in my tone.

Comment

ok i'm back.

Thanks for all your advices. I had to buy them before trying the "Magnet Polarity Tester"

So, for now i have 2 choices:

1-
            -Pearly Gates Trembucker Bridge (TB-PG1)....AutoSplit the outer (screw) coil SN
            -Alnico II Pro for Strat Flat RWRP middle (APS-2 RW/RP) N
            -Vintage for Strat Flat neck (SSL-2) S

2-
            -Pearly Gates Trembucker Bridge (TB-PG1)....AutoSplit the inner (slug) coil SN
            -Alnico II Pro for Strat Flat middle (APS-2) S
            -Vintage for Strat Flat RWRP neck (SSL-2 RW/RP) N

To everyone, have you tried/heard the difference, in tone, between (outer/versus/inner)coil's humbucker paired with middle (Parallel setup)??

Big difference? Little..I build this guitar in a straty tone mood (except bucker position5)

Comment

There is quite a bit of difference between the screw polepieces and the slug polepieces, regardless of whether they are inner or outer. If you are really paranoid you would need to try all 4 combinations before hardwiring.

Comment

To everyone, have you tried/heard the difference, in tone, between (outer/versus/inner)coil's humbucker paired with middle (Parallel setup)??

Big difference? Little..I don't know?

Comment

I would bet that most of us couldn't tell the difference between a bridge humbucker right-side-up or upside-down (active North slug coil in either inside or outside position). uOpt above is saying you will have a pretty big difference in tone if you move from the standard slug coil active when split, to the screw coil active when split. Keep in mind if you move from one humbucker coil to the other you'll change the magnetic and electrical phase and may lose hum canceling when paired with another single coil pickup.

Comment

@robrob2 hi! check it out...

I wrote this question to SD "Customer Support"
                    I have to choose properly my pickups before buying, and for that, i need a clear answer

So, my questions are what's the Magnetic Polarity for these pickups:

Pearly Gates Trembucker Bridge (TB-PG1) (N/S or S/N) ?

Alnico II Pro for Strat Flat RWRP (APS-2 RW/RP) (South or North) ?

Vintage for Strat Flat (SSL-2) (North or South) ?
                    And the "Customer Support" reply to me:
                    Hi John,

Pearly Gates Trembucker Bridge (TB-PG1) is SOUTH polarity

Alnico II Pro for Strat Flat RWRP is SOUTH polarity

Vintage for Strat Flat (SSL-2) is SOUTH polarity
                    So how do you think i can trust that guy?!

Comment

Originally posted by john T. View Post
                      @robrob2 hi! check it out...

I wrote this question to SD "Customer Support"

And the "Customer Support" reply to me:

So how do you think i can trust that guy?!
                      Can you call customer service? They pick up the phone every time I've ever called and answered any questions I ever had promptly. I think you'll need to talk to a human being about this.

Just make sure that the Alnico Pro II RWRWP middle's magnetic polarity is (North) and that the SSL-2 is (South). As far as splitting the bridge humbucker... the slug coil is your best bet since the screw coil is generally a bit weaker and too close to the bridge to not sound thin and shrill. You will basically want to split to the slug coil.

You can also reverse the polarity of the coils by flipping the magnet. 4 conductor humbuckers are fully versatile and present no real wiring problems because you can reverse the electrical polarity by swapping leads and can simply reverse the magnetic polarity by flipping the magnet (really easy to do).

The problem is with the rod magnets in a single coil... they are fixed unless you can charge and polarize magnets yourself (not many of us can).
                      Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                        Hmmm, dunno about the original but IIRC most PG clone sets have a flipped magnet.
                        Even that you can do PG out-of-phase stuff reversing the conductors, the real hisotry was a flipped magnet in neck pickup, as can be readed in Bareknuckle's pickups, by example, that makes a period-correct PG set, also.
                        My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
                        My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

I think this is a good thread to bring light to this topic definitively.

Please, SD people, can you give us the common rule together with exceptions, by example:

THUMB RULE:
                          Strato singles : South
                          Strato RW/RP singles: North

Humbucker inner-coil: South
                          Humbucker outer-coil: North

EXCEPTIONS:
                          Antiquity II: North
                          Antiquity II RWRP: South
                          Antiquity Texas Hot: North
                          Antiquity RWRP Texas Hot: South
                          P-Rails P90: North
                          P-Rails rails: South
                          Invader inner-coil: North
                          Invader outer-coil: South

Please, rectify whatever is wrong and, make the list to grow.
                          My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
                          My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

THUMB RULE:
                            Strato singles : South
                            Strato RW/RP singles: North
                            My SSL-7 RW/RP is a single Strat pickup with South magnetic polarity. I don't know about other Strat pickups.

Humbucker inner-coil: South
                            Humbucker outer-coil: North
                            The reverse is the norm for a bridge humbucker -- Inner (neck side) slug coil is North; outer (bridge side) screw coil is South.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HumbuckerPolarity.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	5764470

A neck humbucker in an HH or HSH guitar is usually upside down (spun 180 degrees) compared to the bridge humbucker. Standard for neck humbucker: inner (bridge side) North slug coil; outer (neck side) South screw coil.

Invader inner-coil: North
                            Invader outer-coil: South
                            Invader humbucker with "Seymour Duncan" logo right-side-up (both coils are screw coils)
                            Inner coil is South
                            Outer coil is North

I get the feeling there's a lot of guitar owners out there that think they have the correct magnetic polarity for hum canceling between two single coil pickups but they don't. I was one of them. I thought I was getting hum canceling between my Fender neck Tele and SSL-7 RW/RP pickups until I tested them.
                            Last edited by robrob2; 01-19-2013, 12:43 PM.

Comment

@zenmindbeginner yes your right, and i will calling monday morning!

Meanwhile:
                              Just make sure that the Alnico Pro II RWRWP middle's magnetic polarity is (North) and that the SSL-2 is (South). As far as splitting the bridge humbucker... the slug coil is your best bet since the screw coil is generally a bit weaker and too close to the bridge to not sound thin and shrill. You will basically want to split to the slug coil
                              If I basically want to split to the slug coil (North), I don't need the RW/RP middle (north)!?

So, for now is that ok, or i am wrong, i have 2 choices:

1-
                              -Pearly Gates Trembucker Bridge (TB-PG1)....AutoSplit the outer (screw) coil SN
                              -Alnico II Pro for Strat Flat RWRP middle (APS-2 RW/RP) N
                              -Vintage for Strat Flat neck (SSL-2) S

2-

Comment

2-
                                I'd recommend this configuration. The orientation of the humbucker is optimal and all of the magnetic polarities are correct for hum canceling.

When you actually start to wire this start by getting the electrical phase between the split humbucker and mid pickup correct. Out of electrical phase will sound tinny and weak. If it is OOP reverse the wiring of the mid pickup and verify it's good. Reverse the mid pickup's wires because it only has 2 wires.

Once the bridge and mid are correct pair up the mid + neck. If they're OOP reverse the wiring of the neck pickup. I recommend using alligator clips to connect the pickups during testing.
                                Last edited by robrob2; 01-19-2013, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X