Middle pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Middle pickup

What pickup to put between a JB Jr. (bridge pickup) and a Little 59 (neck pickup) in a Strat? A love that 80's strat sound (glassy, quacky...)
    Help me!

Thanks!

Re: Middle pickup

I'm not the best guy to ask for this, so consider this a kinda BUMP ....
    I'd probably given the combo mentioned go with a vintage rails ... pretty glassy ... a glassy, bright middle pup will always accent that quack, cluck thing in the 2&4 positions, by going with the vintage rails you get to keep humcancelling in all positions , without having to worry about splitting coils. It's the simple way to do it. I'd choose the vintage rails over the duckbucker for this, because I think it would give a nice contrast, the duckbucker might give a more even tone change say from 1 to 3 to 5, but I think the VR would be the better way to go if looking for that glassy single sound compared to the others. I wouldn't even bother with a true single coil with those other two mentioned. Bear in mind though that this is pretty much a guess based on the pup characters and specs. like I said ...BUMP .....
    ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
    ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
    Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Yep, a Vintage Rail or a Classic stack would be very cool. If you were going to split the HBs in the #2 and #4 positions one of the SSLs would also be very nice.
      www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
      www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
      http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

cool rail would work very well. Or a duckbucker.

Comment

yeah id say duck bucker just to keep the look going, its almost the exact same thing as the vintage rails but with pole pieces instead

Comment

Isn't duckbucker too weak to go between a jb jr and a little 59?

Comment

VR all the way. It's the same as the Duckbucker, but on some non-US strats, the pole pieces of the Duck don't line up exactly.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

In my experience, VR and CR are both great middle pickups. And they seem to match up nicely with hotter pickups such as the Hot Rails and Distortion. I prefer the look of the rails better, but the Duckbucker will match better with the pole pieces of the Little 59 and the JB jr.
                Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

Is any special schematic necessary for the Vintage Rails or Duckbuckers between JB Jr. and Little 59? Or it's just connecting the hot wire of JB in bridge pos, Vintage Rails/Duckbuckers in middle pos and Little 59 in neck pos?

Comment

Originally posted by ovo12
                    Is any special schematic necessary for the Vintage Rails or Duckbuckers between JB Jr. and Little 59? Or it's just connecting the hot wire of JB in bridge pos, Vintage Rails/Duckbuckers in middle pos and Little 59 in neck pos?
                    Nah, you should be able to just connect the hots, just like you would three regular singles, nothing special ... Although, just an idea, but ... You might want to jumper the neck pot tone connection to the bridge also, that way you get one ton control for neck and bridge, and one for the middle; or another option, one for the neck, and one for the bridge, and none for the middle ... that lets you have a full on glassy middle single coil tone default setting. Of course if you want a master tone control, then you can always use the second tone knob as a blender for the neck and brdige pups, allowing you to use both of them together, and blend one in with the other, whenever either one is on. Not trying to complicate things, but food for thought.

Comment

My guitar is already wired with a tone pot for bridge pickup, one for neck pickup and none for the middle. However, what kind of sounds would I get from blender? When you say 3 pickups together or bridge + neck, would it be in series? It would be interesting if a could achieve that Les Paul tone when the Toggle Switch is in the middle pos. (using both bridge and neck pickups).
                      Thanks!!! You guys are really great!

Comment

My guitar is already wired with a tone pot for bridge pickup, one for neck pickup and none for the middle. However, what kind of sounds would I get from blender? When you say 3 pickups together or bridge + neck, would it be in series? It would be interesting if a could achieve that Les Paul tone when the Toggle Switch is in the middle pos. (using both bridge and neck pickups).
                        Thanks!!! You guys are really great!
                        It's a parallel connection, just like a strat or the middle position on a L.P.; whenever either the neck pup or briidge pup is on, the other pup can be blended in or out (e.g. if the neck is one, then it blends in the bridge;if the bridge is one it blends in the neck), the only position it doesn't work in is the middle only position (since neither the bridge nor neck is on). So yeah you can get all pups on, or neck and bridge together (the 2 & 4 positions just add the middle pup to the mix). Just make one knob a master tone (that one gets the capacitor, the other on doesn't), and on the other one runs a wire from it's CCW to where the neck pup hooks to the five way, and then it runs a wire from the wiper to where the bridge pup hooks to the five way. It really doesn't matter which wire runs to which pup though. Simple, neat and effective, so yeah you can get a L.P. type sound, and an L.P. type sound with a glaasy single coil sound added ... and you don't have to tear the crap out of your guiatr to do it.

Comment

Great Kent S.!!! Do you have a schematic for that? Could you send it to me?
                          I would be really glad!!! Thanks again!

Comment

Great Kent S.!!! Do you have a schematic for that? Could you send it to me?
                            I would be really glad!!! Thanks again!
                            I'm having trouble posting actual attachments to the board ... Just read the last post ... Disconnect the last tone pot( remove any capacitor, and wire that goes to the switch at the switch lug [which ever lug it happens to be] ), connect that wire to the bridge pup hot on it's switch lug , then run a wire from the neck pup hot (on it's switch lug) to the CCW or wiper of that tone pot (one wire will be connected to either the wiper or the CCW already, just use whichever is left, the CW doesn't get used ... just like the standard tone control); As far as the other tone control goes, then disconnect the wire that leads to the switch at the switch lug (whichever one it's connected to ), and reconnect it to the volume knobs wiper or CW lug (the wiper will keep more highs when you turn down, the CW lug will lose more highs when you turn down ). That's all there is to it ...

Comment

Thanks! I've got it! It's sounding the I wanted!!!
                              See ya!

Comment

Working...
                              X