Pickups and Harmonics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups and Harmonics?

What`s it about a pickup that makes awesome harmonics jump out with the greatest of ease better then others? Common sense tells me the hotter the pickup the better the harmonics but ones like the Screamin Demon have great harmonics but are only medium output. And other very high output pickups like the Invader don`t work as good as say a JB?

Re: Pickups and Harmonics?

I'm going to guess that its part science, part "mojo".

Science: The harmonics probably occupy a specific frequency range. If the pickup accents that range - better harmonics.

Mojo: If a pickup/guitar combo produces just that right tone for you, you'll be more apt to put more feeling and expression into your playing.

Thats my 2-cents worth.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
      Mojo: If a pickup/guitar combo produces just that right tone for you, you'll be more apt to put more feeling and expression into your playing.

Thats my 2-cents worth.
      Right on the dot.
      There is no spoone
      - The Matricks

Comment

I agree with your science theory cause when i`m trying out a guitar i always do pinch harmonics to see how good it responds. I always do them the same way but some pickups like the JB jump out like crazy and others just don`t! Thanks though that was a great explaination!!!

Comment

Oh by the way ArtieToo......I see your a Peavey man,that`s great!!! I have a 2002 Limited USA Series Peavey guitar!!!!

Comment

Yeah . . . I think Peavey's are a great value. For whatever reason, they don't seem to get the recognition that other names get. Although, the Wolfgang is pretty well respected via Eddy.

You might like this website:

Peavey Vintage Club

Click on Info, over on the left, under Gitaar. Some cool older pics.

Comment

Originally posted by metaled
              And other very high output pickups like the Invader don`t work as good as say a JB?
              I'm really blown away that the Invader's harmonics weren't up to par. I get pick squeals from the Invader way easier than the JB.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Thanks!!!! Yeah i think Peavey makes great products and even their low end stuff still has good quality to it!

Comment

JB From Hell......Oh i definately got harmonics from the Invader but i had to work alot harder for them. With the JB, its so effortless and i always do the pinch harmonics the same way! But maybe i`m just picking on the Invader cause she broke my heart!!!*LOL*

Comment

Me, being the science nerd I am, have to put up a great link to explain general pickup harmonics. Lol.
                    '04 Schecter C-1 Plus (TB-4 JB/SH-2n Jazz)

Comment

That link above doesn`t seem to be working. Does anyone know of any links or websites where i can get info on the science of harmonics?

Comment

The link works fine for me. Cool site actually... thanks Jag for posting it
                        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

When i click on it it says error..........maybe its my crap computer!!! *LOL*

Comment

Working...
                          X