JB for an alder body guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB for an alder body guitar?

Hi, does anyone have a JB in an alder body guitar? Just curious as to what it sounds like. Or would you recommend something else for that wood type?

Re: JB for an alder body guitar?

It MIGHT be overly bright, id go with a Custom Custom in alder.
    There is no spoone
    - The Matricks

Comment

JB is fine with Alder IMO. Really depends on the full setup but there are thousands of users with JB in alder. Now JB in alder w/ rosewood fingerboard and maple neck sounds great. Ebony fingerboard might make it bright IMO.

Comment

My setup is a 5150 with Randall 412 w 70-watt Celestions, BOSS Super Chorus, BOSS DD-3, NS-2, Wah, Digitech Tone Driver, BBE 401, Alesis Nanoverb. I've mostly used Pauls, or guitars made of mahogany, with JB/s. I originally thought my Lynch LTD was made of maple (according to ESP it is) but the warranty card says alder. I also have an LP standard w/Jazz/JB combo.

Comment

It'll sound great with your setup. I have a JB in my alder strat and its great for soloing, a little to bright for cleans but when blended with a 59 in the neck it makes for an awesome sound.
          Gear: Carvin CT6 flame top(alnico 2 pro,JB), Strat scappoled fretboard(59,CC), Morgan monroe ovation knock-off, yamaha nylon acoustic,Boss super overdrive with TS-808 "silver" analogman mod, Boss DS-1 with keeley mod, Vox wah with true bypass mod, Fender Super Reverb 65.

Originally Posted by Jeff_H
          The APH is like slipping into a tub of warm honey spashed with the silky essence of virgins.

Comment

I've had the JB in 2 Agathis body guitars, one with Maple fretbaord, the other had rosewood fretboard. Both guitars sounded awesome after the JB was installed. I'm glad you asked this question because I am currently considering installing a JB in an Alder Body Strat with a maple fretboard.
            Rock On
            ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
            2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
            Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

Comment

The JB is great in alder. I had one in my maple necked Strat. If you split it you will have a very convincing single coil Strat tone.

Comment

I've had a JB in alder guitars with ebony,maple, and rosewood necks. And the JB sounded great in all of them. A lot of it depends on how you have your amp/effects set up as well.

Comment

Count me as one of the many who don't think the JB is too bright, but has a more rounded top end and fatter sound than many pickups.

That said, there are probably more guitar solos from the 80's recorded with a JB and an alder bodied guitar than with any other combo. It works great. JB's also sound good in mahogany guitars. Or any other wood type where the JB voicing (wide and fat yet clear single notes) is desired.

Peace.
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
                  buggjuice.net
                  MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                  X