Suggestions for Ibanez SZ320 p/u's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for Ibanez SZ320 p/u's

Hello. I just found this site. Great input. I just purchased a sz 320. It has a mahogany body,maple cap and will be playing it thru a Vox Ad50vt amp. I mostly play crunchy stuff like metallica etc. but would also like to play some classic rock as well. I am thinking C5 in the bridge and a 59 in the neck. Any thoughts on this combo or any others would be great.

Re: Suggestions for Ibanez SZ320 p/u's

welcome sac.

lots of choice for what you want. c5/59 is a good combo. c5 is somewhat mid scooped so bass and highs will be quite prominent. the 59 in the neck may be a bit too bassy. ymmv. another combo is the custom/jazz an imo, is the most versatile for rock, metal, classic rock etc. custom is mighty aggressive and it cleans up well. jazz is clean and clear in a mahogany guitar. personally, i was thinking of getting the same guitar and putting a cc/pg in it. i love mids!

hope it helped!
    dani
    the mind is willing, but the flesh is weak...

Comment

jb/jazz would be perfect, its the most versatile combination that would sound just phenomenal with your guitar. Hell, its seymours favorite combo.
      Gear: Carvin CT6 flame top(alnico 2 pro,JB), Strat scappoled fretboard(59,CC), Morgan monroe ovation knock-off, yamaha nylon acoustic,Boss super overdrive with TS-808 "silver" analogman mod, Boss DS-1 with keeley mod, Vox wah with true bypass mod, Fender Super Reverb 65.

Originally Posted by Jeff_H
      The APH is like slipping into a tub of warm honey spashed with the silky essence of virgins.

Comment

Originally posted by fusion101
        jb/jazz would be perfect, its the most versatile combination that would sound just phenomenal with your guitar.
        +1
        Rock On
        ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
        2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
        Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

Comment

Thanks for the input guy's, I'm still scratching my head over this. I have heard that the c5 scoops the mids, only thing is I'm not sure if thats good or bad? good for crunch maybe not so good for classic rock? I have heard that the JB is a great pickup other than it tends to be a little tinny on the highs?

Comment

I use a C5/Jazz combo in my Schecter C1+ (very very similar to the Ibanez SZ series). The C5 does indeed scoop the mids a bit, but since my guitar is naturally middy it balances the tone out very nicely. Play your guitar unplugged (acoustically) and see what frequencies are the strongest. You also should consider if your amp is heavy in bass/mids/treble.
            After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

the c5 is ideal for classic rock. think a higher output 59 with extended bass and treble response. i prefer the custom for overall crunchy stuff. real tight with more mids than the c5. i like mine with 250k pots to tame the highs abit in my mij basswood strat (neck pup is a jazz). the jb is designed to be used with a 250k pot and so is the jazz.

personally, i find the jb has a bump in the hi-mids. very vocal sounding. bass response is good but not as much thump as the custom or c5. i tried the c5, custom and jb in the strat and the custom suits my ears the best. i use it for grinding rhythm stuff as well as shred type solos.

btw, the c5, custom and cc is essentially the same pup with different magnets. you can buy any pup from the custom family and swap the magnets if you don't like them. as for the jb, switching the a5 mag to a2 will add some low mids and tame the highs abit. key word, experiment. but in any case, you won't go wrong with duncan pups!

have fun!
              dani
              Last edited by dani; 01-07-2005, 09:40 AM.
              the mind is willing, but the flesh is weak...

Comment

The most versatility (with a high gain amp like yours) will come from low output pickups.That being said, my personal favorites are the Pearly Gates set. If you do need a bit more output from the bridge, the Pearly Gates in the neck and a Screamin Demon in the bridge would be a really good combo.
                Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

My friend has the SZ520 in blue and he put a DD in the bridge and Oh man does that thing wail. Really awesome bridge pickup for metal. It has a pretty tight bottom end.

Fender MIM Strat (Hot Rails)
                  Squier P-Bass
                  Hamer Standard (import)

Comment

Working...
                  X