whats all this spliting, tapping p.ups..ect. mean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats all this spliting, tapping p.ups..ect. mean

hi everyone, i am new to this whole swapping p.ups scene, what is splitting, tapping, push pull knobs and all that other stuff about pickups, i got a dd and jazz, what are my options, and does all this stuff have its advantages and disadvantages?.......help

Re: whats all this spliting, tapping p.ups..ect. mean

splitting- using only one coil of a humbucker (making it into a single coil essentially)
    tapping- using only a portion of the coil of a pickup, lowering the output
    push pull pots- knobs that contain switches, utilized by pulling/pushing knob. The advantage is not having to drill another hole for a switch in your guitar

I consider all of the above advantages Its good to have options

DDs sound great split, just like a strat pickup but hotter look for diagrams on the SD website to do it

What guitar are they going in?
    slade

(I have avatars and sigs turned off. Do you?)

Comment

Yup . . . danglybanger nailed it. The only thing I would add is, when you "tap" a single-coil, you don't just lower the output, (only slightly), you change its whole character. My QP takes on that vintage, jangly chime, when tapped.

Its like getting two pickups in one.

Comment

Originally posted by danglybanger
        splitting- using only one coil of a humbucker (making it into a single coil essentially)
        tapping- using only a portion of the coil of a pickup, lowering the output
        push pull pots- knobs that contain switches, utilized by pulling/pushing knob. The advantage is not having to drill another hole for a switch in your guitar

I consider all of the above advantages Its good to have options

DDs sound great split, just like a strat pickup but hotter look for diagrams on the SD website to do it

What guitar are they going in?
        slade
        t

thanks, but when you tapp or split a coil is is being used as half the coil all the time?

Comment

Originally posted by gianniboy
          hi everyone, i am new to this whole swapping p.ups scene, what is splitting, tapping, push pull knobs and all that other stuff about pickups, i got a dd and jazz, what are my options, and does all this stuff have its advantages and disadvantages?.......help

Scroll down to the bottom clip.

Comment

Originally posted by gianniboy
            t

thanks, but when you tapp or split a coil is is being used as half the coil all the time?
            Yes . . . sorta. Its assumed, that when you "tap" or "split" a pickup, that you do it through a switch, so that you can switch back and forth between the two modes. It would be unusual to hardwire a humbucker split, or a tapped single-coil tapped.

Although, having said that, its probably been done many times.
            Last edited by ArtieToo; 01-07-2005, 04:17 PM. Reason: changed the word "silly" to unusual.

Comment

Working...
            X