new and in need of advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new and in need of advice

im looking to freshen up my jackson ps4 performer. the stock humbuckers are too hollow sounding for anything but metal (they sound especially terrible on clean). i need a more dynamic sound, warmer, but i still enjoy some of the edge/punch.
    after looking around, i decided on a Jazz for the neck and a JB for the bridge ("hot rodded" set).
    the jackson is H-S-H, so now im wondering what would be a good single coil with this pair.
    or if anyones got other suggestions for a set, i would appreciate any help.
    my jacksons got an alder body and maple neck w/rosewood fretboard.
    Last edited by metroidinvasion; 01-07-2005, 07:44 AM.

Re: new and in need of advice

Welcome to the forum. I use a "tapped" Quarter Pound with a JB, and they play real nice together. So, a tapped QP would go real nice in there, and it would give you a wide range of switching options.

If you didn't want to use the tapped version, a "regular" single coil might be better. (SSL-1/2, APS-1/2) I like the QP tapped better than full on. (For matching with the JB, that is.)

Comment

welcome to the board.

what kind of stuff do you play? also, it will help narrow down your choice if you are going for true singlecoils or humbuckers in a singlecoil housing i.e. the rails family.

dani
      the mind is willing, but the flesh is weak...

Comment

welcome to the forum ..

i have an HSH guitar that i 'freshened up' with a '59 in the neck (very nice and warm, especially on an otherwise 'thin' guitar') ... i used a C5 in the bridge, but only because i already had a guitar with a JB ... in the middle, i used a duckbucker (which i love the tone from), but would recommend a vintage rails instead if you bend strings when you solo

good luck
        t4d
        gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

i play alot of metal/hardcore, but i really enjoy, and play, all styles. i think im gonna take a look at the rails pups, i could use some power.

thanks for help

Comment

hot rails would sound great, though i think i would use a custom or distortion in the bridge. I think the distortion would be especially nice for hardcore along with the hotrails
            Cleveland Guitars

Comment

the distortion probably would sound good for hardcore; however, i feel like i would be limited to that scope of playing with a distortion pup, thats why im leaning towards the JB with the Jazz; i could get more dynamic tones.
              any reason why the custom would be better than the JB, considering the dynamics im looking for?

Comment

i actually just like the way the distortion and custom combine with the hotrails.

all three pickups, HR, DD and JB sound good clean and are really versitile
                Cleveland Guitars

Comment

Working...
                X