banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please lord, no more lace sensors gold, get me some SD's...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please lord, no more lace sensors gold, get me some SD's...

It's time... I have had a Jeff Beck strat for close to 15 years... I need to get out of the mud and get rid of my lace sensor golds...
    I have never owned any Seymour Duncans before but they seem an obvious choice. So, WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK I SHOULD PUT IN THERE??
    A JB in the bridge seems like an obvious choice but the SH-6 Distortion seems a tad nicer on the demo CD. I'm really confused with the single coil choices. The "hotter" singles seem to sound muddy... I'm thinking SSL-5 or 6 and maybe some vintage rails...
    Any advice will be much apreciated.
    Oh, and I play through a Mark IV boogie and love Jeff, but am also influenced by Greg Howe, EVH, Johnny Winter and Billy Gibbons.
    THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Re: Please lord, no more lace sensors gold, get me some SD's...

I think by your comments at the end that a JB will be a little too hot for you, although its probably my favourite bridge pickup and i love it...but for harder rock stuff.

Im assuming you have a hum single single strat because you are talking about putting humbuckers in the bridge, and in that case id go for a custom 5 in the bridge with a couple of ssl5 custom staggered for strats in the neck and middle...id keep the single coil tone in the neck and not put a single sized hum in there, its just more stratty

You could however put classic stacks in the middle and neck if you wanted hum cancelling, ive got the equivalent in dimarzio with two virtual vintage blues pickups in the neck and middle of a strat and the single coil tones i get out of it are amazing!

There you go hope that rabble helps!
    My Soundclick page.

Comment

Funny you should mention DiMarzio, Young Angus, I was actually considering some of their VirtuAL 2 pickups from the blurbs and reviews which are excellent.
      About the hot pickups, I was only referring to the single coils, I love a hot humbucker sound (I've got an old Music Man EVH as well - nice and hot).
      Hum cancelling is also essential for me so what you say makes sense.

Comment

i would go for classic stacks in the middle and neck and then either a jb or distortion with some of the influences you have but i feel like i would be cheating you if i didn't mention pickups like the pearly gates (think billy gibbons) or just a paf clone, the 59 any of these pickups will work in the bridge position
        Cleveland Guitars

Comment

Jonesey's right, the Pearly Gates would be sweet mated with a pair of Classic Stacks.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

thanks for the vote of confidence benjy

i have been thinking about using a pearly gates with more singles or dual pearly gates in an old mim standard i have lying around. It would be nice to have a silent strat
            Cleveland Guitars

Comment

Working...
            X